The EMS Dispatcher receives and coordinates communications and requests from various Floyd departments, affiliates, customers, 911 and active Emergency and Non-Emergency assignments and tracking. He/she is knowledgeable of computer aided dispatch, able to function in a high stress environment with the ability to multi-task in high pressured situations.
Role Specific Responsibilities incldue:
- Operates a multi-line telephone console system, alerting system, and various radio communications systems
- Determines and assign the level of priority of the call and enters the data into a computer-aided dispatch system for radio dispatch purposes
- Performs emergency medical dispatch
- Asks vital questions and provides pre-arrival instructions for emergency medical calls
- Receives and responds to a variety of emergency and non-emergency services and complaints in an expedient, professional and caring manner
- Asks questions to interpret, analyze and anticipate the caller's situation as to resolve problems, provide information, dispatch services, or refer callers to other agencies
- Works closely with 911 telecommunicators, dispatch and coordinate responses
- Identifies appropriate number and type of equipment or apparatus to dispatch
- Receives requests for Hazardous Materials Team Activation and relays information to Team and acts as a communication coordination center for communications between the hospital and Hazmat team.
- Answers and carries out all related telephone and radio requests
- Maintains ongoing communication with area hospitals, EMS agencies and communication centers for availability of services and resources
- Prepares appropriate records of communication center and dispatch activities
- Provides related clerical functions and additional functions as needed