Charlotte, NC, United States
Job ID: 28633
Job Family: Physicians
Status: Full Time
Department Name: 31841044230156-Surgical Services
Location: Pineville Med Plz - 10650 Park Rd
Section of General Surgery
The priorities of the Section of General Surgery are:
- Excellence in patient-centered care
- Quality improvement and care optimization
- Resident, medical student, and advance care practitioner education
- Research focused on the most effective ways to organize, manage, finance, and deliver high-quality general surgery care
This unique opportunity in the Section of General Surgery entails the following:
- A collaborative practice comprised primarily of emergency general surgery with opportunities for an elective practice
- A broad-based general surgery practice with a recent expansion to Atrium Health Pineville
- Inpatient and outpatient services supported by Advanced Practice Practitioners
- Opportunity for scholarly and professional development activities
- Call schedule of approximately 4 weeknights a month, no more than 1 in every 4 weekends
- No trauma call or coverage
- Opportunity for Wake Forest Department of Surgery academic appointment
- Qualified candidates must be BC/BE in General Surgery by the American Board of Surgery
- Fellowship training in minimally invasive surgery is preferred
Our cohesive group of surgeons has expertise in minimally invasive techniques and emergency general surgery care and are dedicated to the priorities listed above. These missions are achieved through care for elective, non-elective and emergency general surgery patients across our health system and region. Successful candidates will also be expected to support the missions and vision of the Department of Surgery at Atrium Health as described below. Job satisfaction and collegial partnership in patient care are core to our personal and professional values.
Provide excellent patient care:
Atrium Health is one of the largest, most comprehensive, and integrated, public, not-for-profit systems in the nation compromising more than 7,500 licensed beds, employing nearly 70,000 people and accounting for more than 12 million patient encounters on an annual basis. The Section of General Surgery covers emergency general surgery services at Atrium Health Carolinas Medical Center, Atrium Health Mercy, Atrium Health Pineville, and also performs elective general surgery cases. This position will be primarily at Atrium Health Pineville which is a 288 bed acute care hospital, although all surgeons cover at Atrium Health Carolinas Medical Center and Atrium Health Mercy. Atrium Health Pineville is 8.7 miles from the Carolinas Medical Center Campus. Carolinas Medical Center is an 874-bed tertiary/quaternary care hospital, ACS-verified Level I trauma center with 141 ICU bed and 45 operating rooms. Carolinas Medical Center provides 24/7 support for complex and critically ill patients including a 29-bed dedicated Surgical/Trauma ICU with surgical critical care boarded coverage, advanced interventional radiology and gastrointestinal support, and a wide range of surgical subspecialists. Atrium Health Mercy is a 232-bed acute care hospital located 1.5 miles from the Carolinas Medical Center campus with 16 operating rooms with a dedicated Medical/Surgical ICU, interventional radiology, and gastrointestinal support.
Freestanding emergency rooms within Atrium Health provide additional access to patients and surgical consultations to all locations. Atrium Health Pineville supports two freestanding emergency rooms (third projected to open in late 2023) and Atrium Health Mercy supports one freestanding ED as well as receives patients from Atrium Health Carolinas Medical Center Emergency Department.
The Physician Connection Line (PCL) through Atrium Health’s TeleHealth Solutions® coordinates patient transfers for urgent or emergent surgical evaluation and treatment. The General Surgery section is actively engaged in a wide variety of leadership opportunities within the healthcare system and nationally. This includes:
- co-leading the EGS Guidelines meeting
- active participation in the Atrium Health Acute Care Surgery Network
- chairing Peer Review committees at the hospital level
- participating in Department and Medical Staff -level Peer Review
- grant-funded research projects
- resident-led research projects
- supporting resident journal club on a quarterly basis
- national surgical society committee roles, including SAGES, AWS, AHS and AAS
Department of Surgery, Atrium Health
The Department of Surgery has 75 full-time clinical faculty and 6 PhD translational and basic science researchers. The Divisions in the Department of Surgery are Abdominal Transplant Surgery, Acute Care Surgery, General and Gastrointestinal (GI) Surgery, Hepatopancreatic and Biliary (HPB) Surgery, Pediatric Surgery, Plastic Surgery, Surgical Oncology, and Urology. This position will be in the Division of General and GI Surgery, which has 17 faculty members in the Sections of Colorectal Surgery, GI and Minimally Invasive Surgery, Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery, and General Surgery.
The Department of Surgery has finalized a Strategic Roadmap to execute upon those values for which the faculty believe will determine success. Specifically, the Department of Surgery has prioritized:
- To focus on quality and evidence-based practices in surgery
- To foster innovations in surgical practice, education and research
- To support all faculty in achieving their full academic potential while recognizing the importance of work-life balance
- To welcome new affiliated partners and facilitate their engagement within the Department of Surgery
- To promote greater integration and interdisciplinarity across divisions, departments, hospitals, research laboratories and other academic units for increased impact in research, education and surgical care
- To pursue a courageous, no regrets advancement agenda
- To embody transparency and fairness in all of our strategic directions and academic pursuits and to extend our reach regionally, and nationally to fulfill our academic and social responsibility
The Department of Surgery established the Carolinas Center for Clinical Outcomes Science in 2018, in order to promote a culture of excellence in surgical research, investigation and scholarship through the optimization of care delivery by improving clinical outcomes using innovative data analytics methodologies. Among the Centers personnel include a Senior Data Scientist, Senior Data Manager and Senior Data Analyst, Research Coordinator, Scientific Writer and Medical Editor. The candidate will have access to the resources of the Center for collaborative and independent health services research. The Department of Surgery has over $4 million in NIH funded research and $5 million in nongovernmental research support. The general surgery residency at Carolinas Medical Center matches 6 categorical residents per year and 2 preliminary residents for the PGY-1 year. There are ACGME programs in Surgical Critical Care, Neurosurgery, Orthopaedics and Urology. Fellowship programs are offered in Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery, Breast Oncology, GI/MIS, HPB Surgery, and Acute Care Surgery.
When you join Atrium Health, you will be welcomed into an inclusive culture that celebrates and respects the contributions a diverse team can make together. Practice where your voice is valued, your passion for advancing medicine is rewarded, and you get the resources and support you need to thrive personally and professionally. In our nationally-renowned integrated health system, you can work alongside the most advanced minds in medicine to improve medicine, elevate hope and advance healing—for all.