Director - Medical Education Operations
This job posting is no longer active.
Charlotte, NC, United States
Job ID: 21451
Job Family: Director/AVP (Dept Head)
Status: Full Time
Shift Details: Regular
Department Name: 31761010530156-Surgical Services
Location: CMC Annex/Med Ed - 1000 Blythe Blvd
Leads the administrative operations of Medical Education academic departments (including residencies: General Surgery & Urology and several fellowship programs). Works closely with Department Chairs and faculty leaders to achieve academic mission and objectives. Directs support staff, fiscal resources and adherence to regulatory standards and guidelines.
- Oversees day-to-day operations of multiple academic departments and executes operational plans.
- Supervises and directs the department team members including staff within the Carolinas Center for Surgical Outcomes Science.
- Maintains detailed knowledge of department finances including research activities. Conducts monthly financial review with Department Chair and/or Vice Chair of Education/Research. Participates in annual budget preparations.
- Accounts for multiple internal and external funding streams including Foundation funds. May procure and manage grants to support academic medical education programs and research.
- Manages teaching contracts for external and part-time faculty.
- Serves as liaison between Medical Education and clinical service line leaders. Participates in annual physician time allocation plan process for physician contracts. May also have clinical operational duties such as faculty recruitment/on-boarding, shift tracking, management of patient complaints/service recovery.
- Supports residency & fellowship programs through partnership with physician Program Directors. Maintains proficiency with MedHub system for resident/fellow tracking and reporting. Oversees learners’ administrative activities including recruitment, on-boarding, scholarly fund-tracking, moonlighting, policy adherence and graduation/termination.
- Partner with Undergraduate Medical Education Director to manage the matrixed staff who are coordinating medical student clinical rotations in the departments.
- Manage software/equipment/subscription department needs. Ensure staff are proficient with multiple learning management systems and education technologies.
- Assists with departmental special programs, outreach, and faculty educational activities.
- Ensures that departmental and research operations are compliant with accrediting regulatory agency standards, policies and procedures, as appropriate.
Work requires walking, standing, sitting, lifting, and reaching. Work may require walking to different departments office(s) on campus. Finger dexterity to operate computer and calculator. Must be able to respond quickly in stressful situations.
Education, Experience and Certifications
Bachelor's Degree required. Master's degree in Business or Healthcare Administration preferred. Five years of managerial/supervisory work experience in healthcare or academic medical center setting preferred. Critical thinking and problem-solving skills are essential for this position. Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (including Word, Excel, and Power Point) is required. Additional experience in management of research employees, grants and budgets is preferred.