Cardiac Device Specialist Atrium Health's Sanger Heart and Vascular Electrophysiology FT Days
Charlotte, NC, United States
Job ID: 25458
Job Family: Patient Care Support
Status: Full Time
Shift Details: Regular
Department Name: 26511035132046-Cardiovascular Devices
Location: Kenilworth 1 - 1237 Harding Pl
Provides direct care to patients with Cardiac Implantable Electronic Devices (CIEDs), in the Cardiac Device Clinic. The Cardiac Device Specialist utilizes knowledge of cardiac electrophysiology and biomedical engineering concepts to assess the technical function of the patient’s CIED, perform testing and programming of the CIED, analyze and interpret device and patient diagnostics and perform accurate clinical documentation as determined by departmental and best practice standards.
- Demonstrates direct cardiac rhythm management patient care for patients with CIEDs by integrating a knowledge base from physiology, pathophysiology and the basics of electronics to perform competent device interrogations, diagnostic review, and overall analysis of device function with both in-person evaluations and remote monitoring.
- Performs post-operative CIED evaluation and patient teaching regarding incision care as well as cardiac device function, ICD shock plans, and remote CIED monitoring.
- Programs device parameters to optimize functionality and to promote appropriate pacing, rate modulation, safety, battery longevity, and optimally support overall electrophysiological needs of the patient based on standards of care.
- Utilizes electrophysiology knowledge to safely and adjust settings and parameters on CIEDs within best practice guidelines and departmental standards.
- Recognizes abnormal functions of pacemakers, defibrillators, ILRs and CRT devices through in-person evaluation and remote monitoring. Employs strategies to address and correct issues.
- Communicates with Cardiac Electrophysiologists and other providers regarding CIED function, diagnostic data, and overall patient status through accurate, professional and standardized documentation.
- Completes scheduling protocols for remote monitoring and in-person CIED evaluations per best practice and department guidelines
- Supports regulatory processes related to CIED billing, compliance, and advisory/recall management.
- Ensures accurate billing codes and procedural information is provided for patient encounters.
- Supports and contributes to the Patient Centered Care Philosophy by understanding that every teammate is a Caregiver whose role is to meet the needs of the patient.
Work requires walking, standing, sitting, lifting, reaching, stooping, bending, pushing, and pulling. Must be able to lift and support the weight of 35 pounds in handling patients, medical equipment, and supplies. Must speak English in good, understandable terms. Intact sense of sight, hearing, smell and touch. Finger dexterity. Critical thinking and ability to concentrate. Must be able to respond quickly to changes in patient and/or unit conditions. Physical Abilities Testing required. Additional departmental specific physical requirements may be required for unique responsibilities within the department.
Education, Experience and Certifications
Bachelor’s degree or an Associate’s degree with suitable experience in a related field such as nursing, medicine, electronics or engineering required. Successful completion of a Cardiac Device Rhythm Management course or equivalent experience required. Minimum of one year of recent cardiac device management experience required or comparable clinical training. Current Basic Life Support for the Healthcare Provider and Advanced Cardiac Life Support for the Healthcare Provider status per the American Heart Association required. Maintains 10 device related education hours per year required. Additional education, training, certifications, or experience may be required by the department.