Financial Counselor - Atrium Health Union West
Charlotte, NC, United States
Job ID: 20371
Job Family: Patient Accounting/Registration
Status: Full Time
Shift Details: Regular
Department Name: 51011028341616-Financial Counselors - Follow-up
Location: Atrium Corporate Operations
Interviews patients who are uninsured/underinsured and determines which agencies will provide financial assistance with the patient's hospital and medical bills. Assists the patients through the application process, and follows-up to make sure that the patient completes the application in a timely manner.
- Reviews daily patient lists to determine patients requiring interviews. Interviews patient to collect all patient demographic and financial information and get patient signature on required forms.
- Reviews medical and financial information to determine the appropriate course of action, which would result in sponsorship for the patient. Makes referral to DSS for Medicaid application an/or opens application on the patient's behalf.
- Follows-up with patients by telephone and letter to make sure they complete the applications within the legal deadlines. Follows-up with state agencies to make sure they have all the information/documentation necessary to complete the application and make a determination.
- Sends patients Letter of Determination for indigent health care funds and charity applications. Represents patients at local and state appeal hearing whose Medicaid or Social Security disability application has been denied.
- Arranges transportation services for patients who express a need. Schedules a time and date to pick up patient or family member.
- Obtains verification of information on all accounts being reviewed for IHF and/or charity. Complete IHF requisition for Mecklenburg County residents or charity application to determine eligibility.
Works a fast-paced office environment with numerous interruptions. This position requires some travel to represent patient at appeals.
Education, Experience and Certifications
Bachelor's Degree or 4 years related experience required.