Charlotte, NC, United States
Job ID: 24324
Job Family: Executives
Status: Full Time
Shift Details: Regular
Department Name: 21141017240504-Administration - Operations
Location: Charlotte - 2709 Water Ridge Pkwy
The Enterprise Senior Vice President, Behavioral Health service line reports to the Enterprise Senior Vice President, Medical Group Operations.
The Enterprise Senior Vice President, Behavioral Health is administratively responsible for the strategic design, development, oversight and execution, and operational performance of a Behavioral Health service line across the Atrium Health enterprise, including all regions and markets
This position will work within a highly complex organizational structure and require the skills and behaviors of: strategy development/execution; goal setting; performance monitoring & attainment; complex problem solving; coaching; multi-modal communication; relationship & network building; engagement/alignment with organizational strategy & tactics.
This position will partner with the Behavioral Health Enterprise Physician Leader in a dyad governance model to provide leadership to the service line in all areas of operational performance and strategic development/execution and will partner with the Enterprise Academic Department Chair, Psychiatry to assist in driving the educational and research mission.
Essential duties include:
• Leads operations oversight for two hospital facilities within the Greater Charlotte Region including associated outpatient, ambulatory and virtual care services and inpatient psychiatric beds in designated community hospitals.
• Maintains close relationships with subsidiaries and ancillary services of the organization (e.g. CareNet; a wholly-owned subsidiary of Atrium Health Wake Forest Baptist Health)
• Oversees Behavioral Health Collaborative and ensuing consulting relationships and other business relationships developing from the Collaborative including the pending partnership with Premier on virtual behavioral health integration
• Collaborates with resources both internally and externally, to support local, state and national advocacy efforts for Atrium Health behavioral health and for monitoring and informing leadership of policy changes that may impact the delivery of behavioral health services.
• Provides regulatory oversight and is knowledgeable about all aspects of regulatory compliance; including changes in accreditation requirements and rules and regulations relative to billing and compliance. Capable of navigating a complex and rapidly changing regulatory environment and driving health policy.
• Leads the strategy development and execution for the Behavioral Health service line in 3 regions across NC, SC, and GA; leading integration and optimization of operations across all regions and markets, in compliance with state and federal regulations
• Demonstrates exceptional communication skills and strong physician, APP and teammate relationship building driving a Best Place to Work culture
• Develops and implements operational and financial plans; ensuring the efficiency and effectiveness of daily operations and financial performance of overall service line with attention to affordability and productivity
• Oversees physician contracting and compensation, including communication, personnel management, manpower planning and planning for growth
• Partners with designated leaders to ensure optimum execution of operational, academic, research and strategic initiatives of the System, Service Line , Regional medical group, and practice.
• Provides clinical quality oversight to include operational excellence, patient experience and clinical quality performance measures of care.
• Supports enterprise next generation network growth ambitions specific to Behavioral Health
• Aligns with indirect service line areas including but not limited to 1) primary care and 2) acute care hospitals
• Ensures a workforce strategy that supports the clinical care and business strategies of Behavioral Health Services, including staffing, aligning skills with roles, leadership development, diversity, and inclusion
• Supports the activities of the enterprise Foundation, participating in community events, representing, and advocating for Behavioral Health services and driving philanthropic investments and grant achievement
• Collaborates with marketing to enhance the brand strength of Behavioral Health services, decrease stigma, and educate the community
• Represents Behavioral Health services in local, state, regional and national organizations; utilizing these platforms to raise awareness and reputation of Atrium Health Behavioral Health
• Recognizes and values research, new discoveries, novel care models; driving innovation and entrepreneurship in Behavioral Health services
1. Administratively leads the operations of the Behavioral Service Line in conjunction with the Senior Medical Director under the direction of senior leadership in an efficient and sustainable manner.
2. Leads fiscal reviews of internal resources to promote an efficient and effective environment for all departments/areas of responsibility as the service line grows.
3. Provides exemplary leadership to Service Line team; hires, reviews and develops high performing management team as needed; fosters a culture of teamwork, collaboration, and accountability.
4. Responsible for enhancing existing services or creating new services across the care continuum based upon observation and development with service line stakeholders.
5. Develops and implements specific operational goals and objectives on an annual basis in support of the system's strategic plan and in concert with the overall service line plan for behavioral health.
6. In coordination with appropriate administrators, responsible for the development of long range operational and clinical service line growth plans, growth, and performance excellence initiatives at the facility level.
7. Responsible for maintaining competency in area of expertise with behavioral health clinical/operational associations via continuing education and participation.
8. Responsible for the social imperative initiative to create greater access to all underrepresented communities and promote health equity
Enterprise Leadership Imperatives:
Thinks Critically and Strategically
• Engages in rigorous problem-solving definition, data collection, and analysis, then makes good decisions in the face of uncertainty and ambiguity.
• Recognizes important patterns in complex environments, distills the essence, and communicates through “powerful simplification.”
• Sees the big picture and has a long-term perspective, while balancing it against short-term realities.
Envisions and Enacts the Future
• Creates and communicates compelling visions of exciting, achievable futures.
• Mobilizes people and transforms organizations to realize the vision.
• Catalyzes innovation and builds supporting capabilities.
• Is a committed steward of the Atrium Health culture.
Connects and Collaborates Across Atrium Health
• Recognizes the critical importance of integration and collaboration in achieving high performance.
• Convenes and nurtures cross-system teams and works effectively in the “white spaces.”
• Seeks win-win outcomes and puts the well-being of the patient and the overall organization first.
• Leads effectively across cultures.
Builds and Leads Inclusive, High-performing Leadership Teams
• Understands the value of diversity in teams and gets the best out of all people.
• Establishes trust and creates a culture of psychological safety to enable candid debate.
• Builds consensus; decides when necessary.
• Delivers outstanding results through others.
Understands and Shapes the External Environment
• Is deeply knowledgeable about the Atrium Health business model and the consumer, competitive, political and social environments in which the organization operates.
• Understands the importance of actively engaging with and shaping these environments.
• Identifies, assesses and builds relationships with key stakeholders.
• Mobilizes and directs supporting capabilities in public affairs, communications and government relations to achieve desired outcomes.
Builds Talent for and Across the System
• Demonstrated personal accountability for developing future generations of Atrium Health leaders who reflect the diversity of communities we serve.
• Engages actively with colleagues in assessing and developing executive talent, focusing on competencies and character.
• Invests time in coaching and mentoring high potentials for success.
• Is a role model, embodying the best of Atrium Health’s culture.
Education and Experience:
• Masters degree in Healthcare Administration or Business Administration or other advanced relevant healthcare-oriented degree required.
• >10 years of administrative experience in healthcare preferred
Work Experience, Skills & Abilities:
• Successful track record in providing strategic leadership for clinical services in a large healthcare organization setting, with a preference for behavioral health experience in an integrated delivery system
• Management of a substantial P&L in a senior general management/administrator position(s); proven ability to manage efforts from concept to delivery
• Ability to work collaboratively with peers to drive business direction, pursue opportunity and manage risk, to maximize innovation while respecting agenda boundaries
• Must possess exceptional communication skills that will foster trust, clear vision, mutual respect and positive staff and physician relations.
• Skill in exercising a high degree of initiative, judgment, creativity, discretion and decision-making to achieve organizational objectives.