Charlotte, NC, United States
Job ID: 15761
Job Family: Executives
Status: Full Time
Shift Details: Regular
Department Name: 51011028340542-Administration - Corporate Operations
Location: Atrium Corporate Operations
The Vice President, Laboratory Services is responsible for enterprise-wide testing and testing-related diagnostic laboratory services across all regions of Atrium Health including inpatients, outpatients, and outreach customers. These services are provided at all hospital laboratories, community-based health pavilions, outpatient clinics, patient service centers, private physician offices and affiliated (and non-affiliated) healthcare facilities across the Atrium Health Enterprise. Primary activities include the development and execution of the strategic direction for enterprise laboratory services; oversight of the quality, service levels, cost and operational integrity of laboratory services; regulatory compliance and accreditation; effectiveness of laboratory support for the Atrium Health Enterprise clinical and mission-based programs; and advancing Atrium Health Enterprise’s strategic initiatives. In addition to oversight of daily operations, the Vice President, Laboratory Services is responsible for physician and nursing relations; coordination of laboratory services with clinical programs; direction of technical operations, proficiency testing, chemical hygiene and safety programs; development and execution of the quality plan; and compliance with CLIA, CAP, OSHA, Joint Commission, FDA and other applicable regulatory and accrediting agencies.
➢ Work collaboratively with the executive and senior leadership teams, including Pathology chairs, medical staffs, and laboratory medical directors to ensure that laboratory services effectively support clinical and patient safety initiatives of the system.
➢ Drive innovation within enterprise Laboratory Services to support the future needs across the current and future enterprise footprint.
➢ Create an environment marked by high employee morale, world-class quality and service delivery and continuous quality improvement. In collaboration with Human Resources, create opportunities for succession planning and career development for teammates in the laboratory.
➢ Develop a strategic plan for laboratory that is in alignment with current and future enterprise priorities
➢ Advance a system model for Laboratory Services as an enterprise shared service division: (Lead the advancement of strategic initiatives within the laboratory enterprise; Coach, mentor and develop the laboratory technical staff, leaders, and pathologists to ensure successful implementation of initiatives; Communicate and collaborate with clinical and management stakeholders regarding system laboratory initiatives.)
➢ Develop and manage a strategic market development plan to increase volume of services and improve market share.
➢ In collaboration with the enterprise Department Chair, establish the vision and direction for laboratory services for the Atrium Health Enterprise.
➢ Ensure all operations and policies are in accordance with all local, state and federal laws, regulations and accreditation requirements. Ensures that laboratory operations are conducted with all regulatory agencies such as CLIA, CAP, TJC, DNV, etc. and inspection ready continuously.
➢ Provide leadership and P&L management over laboratory business. Continually evaluate current operations and identify opportunities for efficiencies, process, and procedure changes. Create a culture of continuous improvement, performance, and accountability.
➢ Establish clear information flow/usable data in partnership with IAS to support, Utilization Strategies, Value Based Care, Payor Negotiations, and actionable metrics for continually improving performance and customer/Patient Experience.
➢ Through collaboration with the Executive Director, coordinates the integration of the clinical aspects of the Enterprise Shared Service Laboratory Division, with emphasis on Quality/Safety, People, Operational Excellence, Financial Performance and Strategy/Growth. When appropriate to the Enterprise Shared Service supports the academic mission of the Academic Department.
➢ Communicates effectively with the faculty and private pathology groups providing medical direction of the Laboratory Enterprise Shared Service, keeping the medical director informed on issues and effectiveness of operations, ensures that the faculty and pathologists are consulted on operations specific to their individual sections, involves the appropriate faculty in planning activities and operational oversight.
➢ Integrates the clinical, educational and research missions to maximize performance in each in accordance with enterprise goals.
➢ Demonstrates key leadership competencies: Fosters a common vision; provides clear direction and priorities. Influences other, gaining support, commitment, and action. Builds effective teams, fosters collaboration. Committed to delivering quality services. Seeks input from others and makes sound, effective decisions. Creates an atmosphere of open communication, encouraging free expression of ideas and opinions. Acts with integrity, demonstrating principled leadership and sound ethics. Designs and manages execution of work, including delegation, empowering others, removing obstacles, providing resources, coordinating efforts, and monitoring processes.
• MHA/MBA Advanced degree in health care or business administration is required
• Desirable but not required - Medical Technologist/Medical Laboratory Science with ASCP or comparable certification, or bachelor’s degree in biologic science
Work Experience, Skills & Abilities:
• 10+ years of recent experience managing laboratory operations in a complex a multi-hospital system, including outreach services is required. Experience in a for-profit commercial lab environment, or laboratory services within a private equity firm will be considered .
• P&L responsibility for laboratories with a significant operating budget.
• Experience with balancing the needs of customers in the acute care/quaternary care setting with the medical group/ambulatory part of the business is required.
• A deep understanding of how to create a lab formulary for offering the right test at right time at the right cost in conjunction with key partnering organizations, committees is essential
• A successful track record with mergers and acquisitions in the laboratory setting and working with team collaboratively to determine the best practice for patient care.
• Demonstrated ability to collaborate with all members of the health care team as well as customers and colleagues outside of healthcare such as government officials, vendors, and regulatory officers. Has a track record of excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Ability to apply process improvement techniques such as Six Sigma LEAN/Toyota Production System for maximum quality, efficiency with teammate involvement
• Ability to work with multiple pathology groups and faculty groups within the combined health system. Ability to set a clear vision and goals for Enterprise Laboratory Services and infuse it with positive energy and enthusiasm. Ability to set metrics/targets and teach others how to meet these targets/metrics in order to continuously improve patient care.
• A leader who is a humble servant leader and can work with all levels within the organization so that the entire enterprise “wins” together.
Enterprise Leadership Imperatives:
➢ Thinks Critically and Strategically
• Engages in rigorous problem-solving definition, data collection, and analysis, then makes good decisions in the face of uncertainty and ambiguity.
• Recognizes important patterns in complex environments, distills the essence, and communicates through “powerful simplification.”
• Sees the big picture and has a long-term perspective, while balancing it against short-term realities.
➢ Envisions and Enacts the Future
• Creates and communicates compelling visions of exciting, achievable futures.
• Mobilizes people and transforms organizations to realize the vision.
• Catalyzes innovation and builds supporting capabilities.
• Is a committed steward of the Atrium Health Enterprise culture.
➢ Connects and Collaborates Across the current and growing Atrium Health Enterprise
• Recognizes the critical importance of integration and collaboration in achieving high performance.
• Convenes and nurtures cross-system teams and works effectively in the “white spaces.”
• Seeks win-win outcomes and puts the well-being of the patient and the overall organization first.
• Leads effectively across cultures.
➢ Builds and Leads Inclusive, High-performing Leadership Teams
• Understands the value of diversity in teams and gets the best out of all people.
• Establishes trust and creates a culture of psychological safety to enable candid debate.
• Builds consensus; decides when necessary.
• Delivers outstanding results through others.
➢ Understands and Shapes the External Environment
• Is deeply knowledgeable about the Atrium Health Enterprise business model and the consumer, competitive, political and social environments in which the organization operates.
• Understands the importance of actively engaging with and shaping these environments.
• Identifies, assesses and builds relationships with key stakeholders.
• Mobilizes and directs supporting capabilities in public affairs, communications and government relations to achieve desired outcomes.
➢ Builds Talent for and Across the System
• Demonstrated personal accountability for developing future generations of enterprise-wide regionalleaders who reflect the diversity of communities we serve.
• Engages actively with colleagues in assessing and developing executive talent, focusing on competencies and character.
• Invests time in coaching and mentoring high potentials for success.
• Is a role model, embodying the best of Atrium Health Enterprise’s culture