Certified Peer Support Specialist-Behavioral Health Davidson - Social Work Department
Davidson, NC, United States
Job ID: 12106
Job Family: Behavioral Health Services
Status: Full Time
Shift Details: Regular
Department Name: 46531001043805-Social Work
Location: Davidson - 16740 Davidson-Concord Rd
The Peer Support Specialist utilizes their lived experience with the healing process of recovery from psychiatric, traumatic, and/or substance use challenges to offer assistance and support to promote another peer’s own personal recovery. The Peer Support Specialist has been trained to assist others in initiating and maintaining long-term recovery and enhancing the quality of life for the individuals they work alongside. A Peer Support Specialist is assigned to a behavioral health unit and works in collaboration with the treatment team.
- Functions as a member of the interdisciplinary treatment team.
- Interacts with program participants and co-workers with empathy, and respect maintaining dignity and confidentiality.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the procedures for responding to a crisis both for the individuals served and person providing peer support services.
- Uses trauma sensitive communication skills to engage clients.
- Demonstrates the ability to conduct daily life skills groups following the guidelines and principles of Recovery and Trauma Informed Care.
- Educates the client with treatment team input regarding potential referral sources to coordinate services for clients.
- Demonstrates an understanding of HIPPA and obtains signed releases of information prior to sharing information.
- Demonstrates the ability to disengage from their relationship with whom they are working.
- Demonstrates the ability to document clearly, concisely, and accurately all individual and group meetings.
Works in various community environments (homes, hospitals, emergency rooms, group homes, assisted living facilities) and in an office setting, with exposure to potentially combative and hostile clients. Work requires frequent moving from one area to another, including use of company vehicles, answering pages, and coordinating and communicating with other staff persons in various disciplines and agencies. May transport clients to placement when appropriate to facilitate the transition.
Education, Experience and Certifications.
High School diploma or GED required. Bachelor’s degree in a relevant human services field preferred (such as social work or psychology). Successful completion of Certified Peer Support Training Program within 6 months of hire. Maintains peer support certificate per state standards. CPI and CPR required on a yearly basis for those working on an inpatient unit. Previous personal experience with the treatment of psychiatric illness is preferred. Previous experience working with the SPMI population preferred. Must have good therapeutic communication skills. Ability and willingness to work as a team member. Must have good communication skills and the ability to read and write. Must have computer skills sufficient to document in an electronic medical record. Must complete defensive driving class annually.