Media Relations Strategist
Charlotte, NC, United States
Job ID: 11823
Job Family: Professional Services
Status: Full Time
Shift Details: Regular
Department Name: 51011028341713-Communications
Location: Atrium Corporate Operations
Build and maintain positive, productive relationships with members of the national, local and trade media, including day-to-day interaction with reporters and others regarding news stories about Atrium Health with a sense of urgency and adherence to deadline needs. Use outstanding judgement to determine levels of participation in media stories. Manage and shape media coverage to best represent Atrium Health in a manner that enhances or protects its reputation, patients and workforce, including during crises. Actively seek out appropriate media coverage opportunities that fulfill the objectives of the Enterprise Communications team, leveraging your experience and creativity.
Provides communications counsel to key stakeholders. Plans and strategically designs communications plans, initiatives and programs system-wide that build awareness of the organization's brand among teammates and community, with specific targeted emphasis on goals and priorities. Manages multiple projects simultaneously, is capable of supervising others, exhibits decision-making skills and effectively sets priorities.
Qualified candidates should submit three writing samples and/or communications plans for consideration.
- Serves as a representative for the System and Marketing, Communications and Consumer (MCC) team, helping coordinate and execute System-wide initiatives and providing excellent customer service in all interactions.
- Collaborates with the Director(s) and other department leadership, develops strategic annual plans and programs that effectively integrate with overall MCC strategies that are measurable in design and metric in execution.
- Understands enterprise strategic plan and aligns projects/programs/campaigns/activities accordingly; manages multiple projects independently, drafts recommendations, customizes processes/outputs to audience.
- Organizes and writes major project deliverables with accuracy and clarity; presents complex concepts and analytical results in layperson’s language. Strong writing skills and application of AP style writing are essential to the role.
- Assists in the creation of solution development for potential risks; participates in development of new data sources in response to project/system needs; draws conclusions and makes recommendations based on industry/trends analysis; suggests adjustments to scope or focus of projects as/when necessary to maintain progress; proposes methods and drafts conclusions that challenge conventional thought.
- Encourages teamwork and conflict management skills; begins to be recognized as a strong resource throughout the System; seeks out opportunities to develop self and become a coach to others.
- Exhibits timely decision-making skills and effective priority setting.
- Communicates with department teammates and supervisor on a daily basis, helping with projects as needed.
- Interfaces with departments across the organization, with senior staff and with other critical functions staff as needed and as appropriate on issues and matters related to the goals and priorities of the organization.
- Evaluates team members on routine basis, and reports successes and concerns (with solutions) back to department and leadership.
- Manages the day-to-day workloads, priorities, time management and projects of team members, and assists with troubleshooting, crises and conflicts in their areas. Begins to direct, motivate and evaluate associates.
- Budget management responsibilities.
- Demonstrates a team player attitude and a positive approach to maintain collaboration across all work units within the department.
- Helps enforce and manage the organization’s brand identity and adheres to brand guidelines.
- Acts as back up to Director(s) in various internal and external meetings and roles as needed.
- Minimum of 4 years of professional communications experience required, with at least 2 of those in a corporate communications or media relations environment which included spokesperson duties highly desired.
- Prior experience working with members of the media on complex topics, with a demonstrated ability to influence coverage outcomes on behalf of a company.
- Demonstrated message development and other writing skills for a variety of audiences; knowledge and application of AP style.
- Ability to understand and adhere to strict legal boundaries regarding patient information.
- Must be able to work quickly under tight deadlines and manage multiple projects at once.
- Excellent verbal skills required.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite of tools.
- Strategic thinker with ability to convert strategy into effective tactics.
- Ability to set clear goals and execute projects from start to finish within deadline framework.
- Previous experience representing a healthcare system.
- Existing media relationships with local, national and/or health care trade media.
- Ability to shoot and edit video and/or advanced photography and editing skills.
- Experience managing personnel directly or indirectly.
- Spanish-language proficiency.
- Previous experience with a political campaign or officeholder.
- A sense of humor capable of appropriately diffusing the stressful moments that come with the territory.
Works remotely from home, currently, with regularly scheduled days in an office environment returning in the near future. Frequent evening and weekend work, based on the needs of the organization and the day’s news cycle. Position requires walking around campus and/or other facilities. Must be able to drive and have access/use of a personal vehicle. Requires reading materials, speaking clearly on the telephone and operating a computer with keyboard. Occasional lifting of documents or supplies.
Bachelor's degree in a related field such as public relations, communications, journalism or business required. Master’s Degree preferred.