This job posting is no longer active.
Charlotte, NC, United States
Job ID: 12510
Job Family: Executives
Status: Full Time
Shift Details: Regular
Department Name: 21121017240502-Administration - Executive
Location: Charlotte - 2709 Water Ridge Pkwy
The Vice President of Hospital/Professional Coding and Health Information Management (HIM) services is responsible for the executive strategic direction and leadership for Hospital and Professional Coding Departments as well as the HIM Departments. This position is responsible for driving standardization in HIM services for integration from legacy systems to EPIC, to ensure consistency in education programs, timely regulatory updates, proper documentation standards, and adherence to compliance initiatives. The VP provides oversight for HIM Operations, which includes responsibility for Record Retrieval, Management and Storage, release, and confidentiality of the legal health record both paper and electronic formats. Data integrity responsibilities include Deficiency Analysis, Scanning, Release of Information, Transcription Services, and Clinical Documentation improvement initiatives. Revenue cycle leadership includes responsibility for Hospital and Professional Inpatient and Outpatient Coding, coding related revenue integrity functions, collaboration with CDI, and leading coding quality initiatives for designated clinical departments along with annual education and participation on standing and ad hoc revenue cycle committees.
The VP is responsible for achieving a balance between new technology, departmental demands, compliance, cost effectiveness, optimal reimbursement and implementation of leading practices throughout all departments. Through collaboration with other revenue cycle leaders, executives, CDI, benchmarking data and clinicians, the VP is responsible for identifying and remediating missing revenue as a result of charging, clinical coding and physician documentation opportunities. The VP is responsible for ongoing identification and implementation of synergistic leading practices in HIM and professional coding/hospital coding throughout Atrium Health. The VP will ensure Atrium Health complies with all legal and regulatory requirements applicable to health information, clinical documentation, coding and privacy (HIPAA).
1. Directs the activities of the Primary Enterprise Health Information and Coding services for hospital and professional services.
2. Responsible for identifying operational synergies between hospital and professional HIM processes and procedures and implementing best practices.
3. Works to resolve problems and monitor workload methodologies, making recommendations to improve efficiency and/or achieve cost savings when possible.
4. Establishes effective interaction between Information Services and the HIM department while continually analyzing and improving systems impacting HIM, finding opportunity for efficiencies and/or optimization of revenue and reimbursement.
5. Assists in the leading of Corporate Compliance functional risk area programs across Atrium Health for Health Information, Coding and HIM privacy.
6. Directs or coordinates systems and processes allowing patients and other requestors/users of health information to obtain needed information through a single source of connection for any Atrium Health delivered care in the Atrium Health electronic medical record and associated systems. Leverages use of patient portal and HIM systems when appropriate options are provided to the requestor.
7. Assures that medical record reporting systems meet the statistical and research needs of administration, medical staff and various applicable accrediting agencies.
8. Maintains departmental procedures and system policy manual, recommends improvements and leads change where appropriate.
9. Maintains effective employee engagement by leading and participating in regular employee engagement activities and ensuring all hiring, orientation and training, evaluations, and disciplinary actions are handled within Atrium Health policy.
10. Budgets for capital and operational expenses needed for the department and monitors budget and expenses incurred, working to contain cost whenever possible.
Expected leadership outcome is a diverse, inclusive, high-performing and transformational team and organization.
1. One Experience Behaviors: Models and drives One Experience Behaviors.
2. Talent Management: Selects, develops, optimizes, and retains diverse talent to achieve individual, team, and organizational objectives.
3. Teammate Engagement: Develops and implements actions to improve and sustain teammates’ commitment. Sustains engagement at the 75th percentile.
4. Continuous Improvement: Identifies and implements actions to improve existing processes, practices, behaviors and LEAN tools to achieve organizational objectives.
5. Financial Management: Develops and implements budget targets to achieve organizational objectives.
6. Supporting Standards: Sets the tone for the System’s culture by modeling and monitoring adherence of the Code of Business Conduct.
7. Core Values: Models our core values of Caring, Commitment, Integrity and Teamwork.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Nursing or related field.
• Master’s Degree in Business Administration or related field preferred.
• Current RHIA or CPC certification preferred.
Work Experience, Skills & Abilities:
• 10 years of experience in leadership required.
• Must be able to handle fast pace environment moving independently from one location to another.
• Must have the ability to clearly communicate verbally, in person and in writing.
• Must be able to work cooperatively and effectively with other teammates and executive leadership.
• Must have experience or ability with integration/onboarding new affiliates, mergers, acquisitions.
• Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development and demonstrates the skills and competency appropriate to the ages, culture, developmental stages, and special needs of the patient population served.
Enterprise Leadership Imperatives:
Thinks Critically and Strategically
Envisions and Enacts the Future
Connects and Collaborates Across and Beyond Atrium Health
Builds and Leads Inclusive, High-performing Leadership Teams
Understands and Shapes the External Environment
Builds Talent for and Across the System