Reporting to the SVP, CHRO of Atrium Health Navicent/CXO of Atrium Health, the Assistant Vice President, Human Resource Business Partner will build, lead, and support Atrium Health Navicent’s HR business partner team and serve as a trusted advisor to senior leadership in aligning the HR business partner function to the broader HR and Navicent Health strategic goals.
This is not a transactional role; rather, it will be focused on transformation, value, and strategy, and will require a high-performing executive to bring strategic value. It is critical that the Assistant Vice President develop strong relationships by partnering with senior leaders to implement strategic, transformative HR initiatives, and talent systems, processes, best practices, and support that will help achieve business and patient service objectives. This will involve working closely with others in the HR function to build highly effective HR services and talent strategies to help Atrium Health Navicent achieve its goal of strategic growth, both organically and through acquisition, and driving the use of those services and strategies throughout the organization.
The Assistant Vice President will be expected to work effectively with both direct and indirect teams to accomplish organizational goals – taking actions that respect the needs and contributions of others, contributing to and accepting the team’s decisions, and subordinating personal objectives to the objectives of the organization or team. He or she will drive the attraction, development, engagement, and retention of strong talent that will define and drive business strategies enterprise-wide. This position will sit at Atrium Health Navicent in Macon, GA.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Build, assess, and develop the strategic business partner team to ensure business alignment, proactive solutioning, and strategic partnership with AH Navicent’s leaders at all levels
- Lead an HR business partner organization built on strategic thinking, proactive partnership, openness, transparency, and meritocracy that partners and develops excellent relationships with key line executives
- Develop a strong understanding of the key business drivers and dynamics of the business across divisions and functional lines; based on this knowledge, he or she will provide advice and counsel on HR matters, including strategies and solutions
- Demonstrate critical thinking and advise on the appropriate functional area (shared services) to resolve concerns
- Serve as a change agent in challenging the status quo, transforming the talent design, and helping to steer and reshape the organization’s governance structure across the HR business partner organization, building on the work done to date
- Display a strong results orientation and ensure an environment of high standards for performance where people feel valued and respected, and ensure that team members have the same sense of urgency and standards for performance
- Build and shape a best in class human resources organization – a lean but strong organization with a talented bench and team orientation
- Establish and implement HR initiatives that effectively communicate and support the businesses’ vision and strategic direction, and develop HR plans and strategies to support the achievement of overall business objectives
- Develop and communicate AH Navicent’s HR vision and link it to the system’s strategic plan
- Function as a strategic business advisor to executive/senior management regarding key organizational and management issues
- Lead an HR business partner function that ensures the alignment of workforce performance with corporate objectives, optimally delivering support using technology and a strategic business partner mentality
- Understand employee concerns through employee surveys and focus groups, and educate employees regarding changes in human resources policies and benefits in support of improving organizational effectiveness
- Serve as the bridge between operations leaders and the HR Center of Excellence
- Identify continued opportunities for HR transformation, and implement best practices for ensuring that HR drives continuous improvement aligned with HR’s and AH Navicent’s strategy
- Use predictive data analytics to drive transformative, strategic solutions in HR, and lead the HR strategic business partners to use data to help executives drive talent transformation in their areas
- Work collaboratively with HR business partners in the Charlotte region to ensure that practices are consistent across the Atrium Health enterprise.
- A master’s degree from an accredited university or college in business, management, human resources, healthcare administration, or a related discipline is required; a PhD is preferred
- More than ten years of proven business leadership experience, with an understanding of all aspects of HR (e.g., total rewards, shared services, learning and organizational development, talent acquisition, executive recruiting, teammate relations, HR strategic business partners)
- A track record of success influencing leaders and driving change across different cultures, geographies, functions, and business units
- At least ten years’ experience solving business problems, and demonstrated experience with complex problem-solving
- Demonstrated success in partnering across a decentralized organizational model, and leading a team in a highly accountable, results-focused environment where leaders at all levels focus on demonstrating a visible commitment to core values, customer service, and diversity and inclusion practice
- A track record of leading a team within a large and complex organization (preferred)
- Experience leading operational units within or outside of health care (preferred)
- Experience in identifying and leading transformative solutions that take an organization to a best-in-class status in process efficiencies, business solutions, and strategic alignment (preferred)
- Unassailable integrity and ethics
- Strong leadership and influencing abilities
- The ability to work in a matrixed environment
- A results orientation and sense of urgency
- An engaging style with strong communication skills (one-on-one, writing skills, presentation skills, etc.)
- Strong time and project management skills, and overall organizational skills
- A strategic thinker with good judgment and decisiveness
- A strong data and analytical orientation
- The ability to balance strategy with getting things done
- Cultural/global sensitivity and awareness that results in building effective relationships
- Business Savvy
Enterprise Leadership Imperatives:
- Thinks Critically and Strategically
- Recognizes the strategic issues facing their areas of responsibility and Atrium Health as a whole.
- Engages in rigorous problem definition, data collection, and analysis, then makes well-informed decisions in a timely manner.
- Connects the dots in complex business situations and distills their essence into actionable insights.
- Sees the big picture and has a long-term perspective, while balancing it against short-term realities.
- Identifies potential scenarios, assesses risks and ways to mitigate them, and charts the best path forward.
Envisions and Enacts the Future
- Creates a compelling vision of an achievable future.
- Communicates simply and powerfully why change is necessary.
- Mobilizes people and organizational resources to realize their vision.
- Catalyzes innovation and builds adaptive capabilities.
- Is a committed steward of the Atrium Health culture.
Connects and Collaborates Across and Beyond Atrium Health
- Recognizes the critical importance of integration and collaboration in achieving high performance.
- Convenes and nurtures cross-system teams, and works effectively in the “white spaces.”
- Seeks win-win outcomes and puts the well-being of the patient and the overall organization first.
- Leads effectively across cultures.
- Builds and Leads Inclusive, High-performing Leadership Teams
- Understands the value of diversity in teams and seeks to get the best out of all people.
- Gets the right people in the right roles, then aligns and energizes them to achieve excellence.
- Establishes trust and creates a culture of psychological safety to enable candid debate.
- Builds consensus; decides when necessary.
- Delivers outstanding results through others.
Understands and Shapes the External Environment
- Is deeply knowledgeable about patient needs, the Atrium Health business model, and the competitive, political and social environments in which the organization operates.
- Understands the importance of actively engaging with and shaping these environments.
- Identifies, assesses and builds relationships with key stakeholders.
- Is proactive in identifying potential threats and opportunities and adapts rapidly in the face of changing circumstances.
- Mobilizes and directs supporting capabilities in public affairs, communications and government relations to achieve desired outcomes.
Builds Talent for and Across the System
- Demonstrates personal accountability for developing future generations of Atrium Health leaders who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve.
- Engages actively with colleagues in assessing and developing executive talent, focusing both on competencies and character.
- Identifies future skillset needs, then recruits and develops people to meet those needs.
- Invests time in coaching and mentoring high-potentials for success.
- Is a role model, embodying the best of Atrium Health’s culture.