Registered Nurse - Infection Preventionist
This job posting is no longer active.
Charlotte, NC, United States
Job ID: 10212
Job Family: Nursing
Status: Full Time
Shift Details: Regular
Department Name: 51011028332641-Infection Prevention
Location: Atrium Corporate Operations
Responsible for the day-to-day Infection Prevention program and activities for any designated healthcare facility, clinic and healthcare service throughout the continuum of care.
- Abstracts data from patient charts for surveillance and focus studies and generates healthcare associated infection statistics. Develops and pilots data collection tools. Utilizes several electronic systems to collect data.
- Reports routine and significant epidemiological findings from surveillance activities to department leadership and the Medical Director.
- Maintains accurate records of infections; compiles, analyzes and disseminates surveillance data. Collaborates with leadership and makes recommendations for improvements based on data analysis, reviews of current literature, comparisons of observed practices to professional standards or results of multidisciplinary conferences.
- Advocates for the patient, visitor and healthcare worker throughout the continuum of care;creates, implements and revises infection prevention policies.
- Assists with investigation and follow-up of healthcare workers and non- employees exposed to communicable diseases, and occupational exposures.
- Assists with investigation, and recommendations for corrective action related to healthcare facility construction and moisture management activities.
- Identifies unsafe infection control practices and hazards. Designs, implements and monitors alternative solutions to system-wide, departmental or unit problems.
- Is a resource person for infection prevention issues; may serves on committees or subcommittees such as Infection Prevention Committee, QSOC, EOC Committee, Performance Improvement Committee, Patient Safety Committee, or clinical value analysis teams.
- Collaborates with the Hospital Based Public Health Epidemiologist, Safety, Emergency and Infectious Disease Medicine in policy development, investigation, and recommendation for actions related to bioterrorism readiness, and community outbreak and control measures.
Works in an office and/or boardroom type setting. Surveillance work requires walking throughout the facility. Possible travel/driving to facilities as required. May be prolonged periods of sitting at desk reviewing medical records, updating policies, planning educational program or utilizing a PC. Requires frequent contact with all levels of personnel. Intact sense of sight and hearing required.
Education, Experience and Certifications
Must speak and understand English fluently. Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing or healthcare related field required. Current NC license as a Registered Nurse required. Certification in Infection Control and Prevention (CIC) preferred, and required within 3 years of employment. At least 2 years clinical experience as RN, preferably acute care required. Ability to identify and research problems required. Ability to analyze and interpret data and problem solve required. Excellent oral and written communication skills required. Intermediate to advanced computer skills required. Knowledge of Microbiology, biostatistics, and basic principles of hospital epidemiology preferred. Ability to produce epidemiological studies preferred. Ability to interpret fundamental bio-statistical information and computer generated materials, preferred.