ECMO Specialist - LCH ECMO - FT Nights
Charlotte, NC, United States
Job ID: 9796
Job Family: Nursing
Status: Full Time
Shift Details: Regular
Department Name: 11011005030979-Nursing - LCH ECMO
Location: AH CMC Main - 1000 Blythe Blvd
Operates extra-corporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) equipment and performs ECMO therapy according to physician orders, provides care through skillful assessment, diagnosis, outcomes identification, planning, implementation and evaluation in accordance with facility and department policies, procedures, and/or protocols under the supervision of the ECMO team manager.
- Monitors pump functioning throughout patient therapy and maintains pump integrity; monitors circuit volume and administers products, medications and/or volumes as ordered; monitors anticoagulation, electrolyte acid-base balance and blood gas composition volumes and adjusts ECMO circuit to maintain physician orders.
- Recommends appropriate changes to current patient management based on new information or changing patient status.
- Generates and compiles appropriate documentation and charges related to ECMO.
- Operates point of care laboratory equipment; interprets and acts on results based upon physician orders.
- Sets up and primes ECMO circuits; initiates and maintains extracorporeal life support according to protocols. Assists with logistics of cannulation, decannulation, and in-house transport of patients on ECMO.
- Coordinates and assists with interfacility transport for patients on ECMO.
- Manages planned and emergent disruption of ECMO. Replaces circuit components under normal and emergent conditions.
- Facilitates a multidisciplinary approach in the care of ECMO patients.
- Participates in Quality Improvement and Research.
- Assures to maintain competency with ECLS/ECMO procedures at least 24 hours quarterly and 96 hours annually of pump time. If these can not be met with patient care, specialist will participate in drills to meet requirements.
- Provides CRRT in the neonatal and pediatric populations. Will assist with provision of CRRT in adult cardiac patients on ECMO as requested.
- Promotes shared governance, or facility decision making activities, developing and nurturing research to positively affect clinical outcomes and promotion.
Work requires walking, standing, sitting lifting, reaching, stooping, bending, pushing and pulling. Must be able to lift and support 35 pounds in handling patients, medical equipment and supplies. Must speak English in good, understandable terms. Intact sense of sight, hearing, smell and touch. Finger dexterity. Critical thinking and ability to concentrate. Must be able to respond quickly to changes in patient and/or conditions. Additional department specific physical requirements may be identified for unique responsibilities within the department by the nurse leader.
Education, Experience and Certifications
Graduate of an accredited Registered Nurse or Respiratory Therapy program is required with current licensure and certification as appropriate. For RN, BSN preferred. Current Basic Life Support for Healthcare Provider status according to American Heart Association. ACLS preferred. Minimum of (2) two years of direct patient care experience in a neonatal, pediatric or adult ICU setting is required.