Operating Room Assistant I - Atrium Health (Full Time Days)
Charlotte, NC, United States
Job ID: 8515
Job Family: Support Services
Status: Full Time
Shift Details: Regular
Department Name: 11051016630170-Operating Room
Location: Charlotte - 2001 Vail Ave
Responsible for providing some direct patient care as delegated and supervised by the registered nurse. Responsible for some housekeeping duties and acts in a supportive role for other staff members.
- Performs terminal room sterilization in accordance with OSHA standards, standard precautions, and departmental policy.
- Assists with positioning and prepping of patients.
- Safely transfers and transports patients pre-operatively, intraoperatively, and post operatively.
- Cleans equipment and returns it to proper storage area.
- Maintains male and female dressing area, holding area, and scrub sink area stock.
- Performs general housekeeping duties daily.
- Proficient in setting up special tables and equipment.
Must have the use of both hands and all fingers and is required to use his/her hands for gripping, speed work and precision during the manipulation of equipment and in the case of the surgery patient. Vision and hearing for distances of up to twenty (20) feet is necessary, depth perception and distinguish basic colors. The position requires frequent long, or irregular work hours, rotating shifts, walking on hard surfaces, being near moving equipment, changes in temperature, humidity, and exposure to blood borne pathogens. Works inside with occasional intermittent noise and exposure to conditions such as dust, fumes, and chemicals. Handling equipment and monitoring supplies. Requires communication skills, both oral and written to interact with patients and hospital staff. Strenuous physical effort will required in order to walk, stretch, bend, climb stairs, twist, squat or kneel to move and position the anesthetized patient by lifting, pushing, and pulling. Must be able to lift and support the weight of 51 pounds in handling patients and medical equipment/supplies.
Education, Experience and Certifications
High school diploma or GED preferred. BLS for healthcare provider from AHA required within 90 days of hire.