Director of Nursing, Emergency Department
This job posting is no longer active.
Charlotte, NC, United States
Job ID: 9768
Job Family: Nursing
Status: Full Time
Shift Details: Regular
Department Name: 11071005440501-Administration
Location: AH Pineville Main - 10628 Park Rd
This position provides leadership and oversight over three emergency departments in the South Charlotte region. Qualified candidates must have strong emergency department leadership experience, including experience involving change management and a very thorough understanding of emergency department flow.
The Director of Nursing is responsible for strategic oversight and operational performance. The DON provides leadership, guidance, and direction in achieving outcomes consistent with the mission, vision, and goals of Atrium Health. Atrium Health. The DON assumes leadership responsibility for the assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation of clinically effective and efficient systems of care and service within the continuum of care.
- Adheres to ANA Nursing Administrations professional standards and regulations.
- Accepts organizational accountability for services provided to recipients.
- Selects employees and promotes development through performance evaluation, identification of mutual goals and educational opportunities that enhance and encourage continued professional growth.
- Utilizes transformational leadership in partnership with employees to develop goals and objectives consistent with organizational mission and philosophy.
- Assesses impact of plans and strategies to address such issues as ethnic, cultural and diversity changes in population, political and social influences, financial and economic issues, the aging of society and demographic trends, ethical issues related to health care and environmental influences on health.
- Guides strategic planning within service line and participates in strategic planning at the service line/facility and system level.
- Works cooperatively with other disciplines, serving as a liaison with other departments for problem solving, relationship building, and execution. Assures effective communication occurs between disciplines, programs, andadministration.
Structure / Environment
- Participates in nursing and organizational policy formulation and decision-making involving staff, such as shared governance.
- Utilizes knowledge of Nurse Practice Act, regulatory agency requirements, current nursing theory, research, practice, and principles of management to guide practice.
- Coordinates nursing care with other healthcare disciplines, and assists in integrating services across the continuum of health car.
- Advocates for a work environment that minimizes work related illness and injury.
- Understands and complies with state and federal laws concerning the health care services and practice they manage, and complying with all facility regulations and policies.
- Functions as a member of the Nursing Administrative team to accomplish the goals and objectives of the service line as well as Atrium Health.
- Assures that resource allocations are based on identified needs and current nursing benchmarkingmeasures
- Assumes oversight for staffing and scheduling personnel considering scope of practice, competencies, patient needs, and complexity of care.
- Participates in the strategic planning structures and processes with administration, medical staff, and clinical leaders.
- Assures that appropriate two-way communication occurs with management and patient care staff related to service line operations.
- Directs oversight functions responsible for compliance with regulatory, accrediting, and 3rd party payer regulations and standards.
- Exhibits creativity and flexibility in current role which allows for easy transition to respond to emerging problems, changes in practice or demand in the health care market.
Patient Experience & Quality
- Promotes care delivery with respect for individual’s rights and preferences.
- Evaluates the quality and appropriateness of health care.
- Evaluates and mentors a family / patient centered care environment to involve a holistic approach to be across the continuum by involving patient / family in decision making and to evaluate the effectiveness of patient and family education and resources.
- Uses a system-based approach to participate in the coordination of services and programs promoting integrated operations that evolves in response to rapid changes in health care.
- Utilizes knowledge of Clinical Information Systems to facilitate process improvement and patient safetyinitiatives.
- Leads the development, implementation, and continuous improvement of a professional practice model that meets or excels customer / client expectations by evaluation and assessment of patient satisfaction surveys and clinical outcome measures.
- Demonstrates expertise in the planning implementation and evaluation of projects, services and policies and procedures to assure ongoing performance improvement.
- Integrates evidence and research findings into practice.
- Demonstrates respect for diversity in all interactions as reflected in such behaviors as cultural, ethnic and generational sensitivity.
- Assures the development and implementation of an effective, ongoing program to measure, assess, and improve the quality of care, treatment, and services delivered.
- Through collaboration leads and mentors a multidisciplinary work force which provides clinically competent efficient and compassionate care and services in a professionally ever-changing work environment.
- Establishes and continuously improves communication transfers between clinical professionals as well as evaluating and nurturing the working relationships between physicians and nurses.
- Reports any injuries or safety hazards, and takes corrective action as quickly as possible.
- Participates in the recruitment, selection, and retention of personnel, including staff representative of the population diversity.
- Leads the implementation and change created by unit and service line service line shared governance models that encourage staff partnership in directing the delivery of care at the bedside and leading positive change within theorganization.
- Assures appropriate orientation for new staff and assists in evaluating staff development andprogress.
- Encourages staff members to attain education, credentialing, and continuing professional development.
- Promotes shared accountability for professional practice.
- Provides guidance and supervision of personnel, and evaluates performance in a fair and transparentmanner.
- Creates a supportive environment with sufficient resources for nursing research, scholarly inquiry and the generation of knowledge.
- Encourages an open forum of communication with staff, allowing ample opportunities to discuss issues and seek guidance.
- Directs the fiscal oversight of allocated resources for current and future projections to insure efficient and effective utilization of business units. Responsible for the annual operating budget.
- Demonstrates expertise in realigning staff and other resources to response to service demands without compromising the overall clinical effectiveness of the care provided.
- Demonstrates knowledge of daily operations of division. Provides status information to the Chief Nurse Executive as appropriate related to operations and problems.
- Maintains current knowledge base related to reimbursement guidelines and strategies with goal of structuring business to provide for optimal reimbursement and maximum return on operationmargin.
- Supports organizational community service initiatives consistent with core values, goals, and objectives.
- Attracts, develops, and retains exceptional care givers and provides those care givers with an environment that fosters excellence through continuous learning
- Collaborates with Human Resources and other managers to ensure appropriate staffing.
- Advances innovative retention strategies for staff.
- Collaboratively manages the disciplinary process when appropriate.
- Facilitates the annual performance review process
- Collaboratively manages the discipline process, when appropriate.
- Ensures application of staffing tools.
- Provides nurses with an environment that supports their professional practice, health and well-being
- Coaches and mentors and develops staff in their professional practice.
- Advances professional practice through nurse certification.
- Facilitates onboarding of new staff
- Promotes development of staff by creating individualized development plans
- Supports RN/NA relationships
- Collaboratively manages the disciplinary process when appropriate.
- Manages people and resources to ensure safe and efficient patient care operations
- Partners to ensure optimal patientthroughput.
- Collaborate with the Nurse Managers to ensure application of the safe staffing and schedulingguidelines.
- Ensures the application of the staffing to patient needs.
- Embeds innovative strategies to support a health practice environment that encourages break time and reduces worker fatigue.
- Leads the development and implementation of approaches to attain top decile performance on all quality and patient satisfaction metrics
- Coaches and develops unit based quality committees to advance top decile performance.
- Supports continuous quality improvement initiatives.
- Maintains and improves the department or unit’s quality of care and patient experience
- Advances the Patient and Family Centered Care Model through the implementation of evidence basedpractice
- Promotes innovation and research to advance care, patient caremodels.
- Encourages, mentors and coaches staff in advancing innovation through research and evidence
- Cascades annual goal development in collaboration with NurseManagers.
- Enhances the patient’s experience through the continuum of care.
- Establishes, implements, and monitors the unit or service area’s capital and operating budget to achieve defined targets
- Creates annual operating budget and is accountable for monthly financial performance.
- Creates and implements capital request, replacements and departmental projects.
- Cascades annual goal development in collaboration with Nurse Managers.
Work requires walking, standing, and standing. Works in an office environment. Must speak excellent English. Intact sense of sight, and hearing. Work requires critical thinking and ability to concentrate for long periods of time. Must be able to respond quickly and appropriately in stressful situations. Must be able to lift 10 pounds of weight.
EDUCATIONAL, TRAINING, AND EXPERIENCE:
- Graduate from an accredited School of Nursing.
- Current license to practice as a Registered Nurse or temporarily license as a Registered Nurse Petitioner in the state of North Carolina and or compact licensure in the state of residence.
- Master’s Degree in Nursing or MBA/MHA required.
- Minimum of five (5) years of management experience. Proven ability to work on multiple goals with track record of goal achievement. Prefer experience leading facility project teams.
PATIENT POPULATION SERVED:
Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development and demonstrates the skills and competency appropriate to the ages, culture, developmental stages, and special needs of the patient population served.
PROTECTED HEALTH INFORMATION:
• Will limit access to protected health information (PHI) to the information reasonably necessary to do thejob.
• Will share information only on a need to know basis for work purposes.
• Access to verbal, written, and electronic PHI for this job has been determined based on the job level and job responsibility within the organization.
• Computerized access to PHI for this job has been determined as described above and is controlled via use ID and password.