ORC/Allocation Specialist - Lifeshare
Charlotte, NC, United States
Job ID: 8924
Job Family: Patient Care Support
Status: Full Time
Shift Details: Regular
Department Name: 11011019631252-Lifeshare - Organ
Location: Charlotte - 5000 Airport Center Pkwy
The LifeShare Carolinas Organ Recovery Coordinator I (ORC I), under the general direction of the Manager of Organ Services, oversees the donor management and recovery of all usable organs for transplantation or research. The ORC I is responsible for conducting donor evaluation, donor management, organ placement, surgical recovery, transportation of shared organs and coordinating recovery efforts with Transplant Centers and other Organ Procurement Organizations (OPO). The ORC I may assist with obtaining consent for donation. The ORC I also provides informational and educational in-services to professional and public audiences.
- Follows policies of LifeShare, Atrium Health, Donor Services Area (DSA) Hospitals, Association for Organ Procurement Organizations (AOPO), Centers for Medicaid Services (CMS), and United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS), and all other regulatory or accreditation bodies utilized in the organ donation industry.
- Works collaboratively with LifeShare team, hospital staff, physicians, and surgeons to direct the clinical evaluation and management of potential organ donors.
- Provides input and assists in the referral/ donor and organ recovery processes using knowledge of critical care principles such as hemodynamic monitoring, ventilator management, and administration of critical care medicines
- Interacts appropriately and shows compassion to grieving families and staff
- Makes appropriate decisions regarding complexity of the case and escalates to a higher level if necessary.
- Actively participates in quality assurance and performance improvement
- Follows the direction of the Administrator on Call (AOC) and / or Medical Director to ensure the donor is managed appropriately and responsibilities of organ donation are completed.
- Conduct rounding and in-services in DSA hospitals to identify potential donors and heighten awareness as scheduled by Hospital Development of LifeShare Administration.
Available to travel distances greater than 100 miles and function effectively in unfamiliar hospital environments. Must be able to endure irregular sleep patterns.??? Work extended hours (25+), take call for 24hr intervals for consecutive days. Work in office, patient care area, and operating room. Ability to lift 50 pounds. Good visual acuity and accurate manual dexterity. Use of personal car for business is required.
Education, Experience and Certifications
RN with current license, or 3 years' experience as a Paramedic, or 3 years' experience in an Organ Procurement Organization with experience in organ recovery, preservation, or tissue recovery required. ABTC Certification as a CPTC preferred.