Lactation Consultant - Lactation Center - AH Union Main
Monroe, NC, United States
Job ID: 8765
Job Family: Professional Services
Status: Part Time
Shift Details: Regular
Department Name: 11081005630902-Lactation Center
Location: AH Union Main - 600 Hospital Drive
- Makes lactation rounds as needed to meet the clinical lactation needs of breastfeeding inpatients.
- Conducts independent assessments of the breastfeeding mother and baby (inpatient and/or outpatient setting).
- Designs, implements and evaluates individualized plans of care to meet patient needs.
- Coordinates lactation management with the staff.
- Provides outpatient clinical assistance for breastfeeding difficulties which includes an appropriate care plan and communication with referring physicians.
- Evaluates breastfeeding educational materials and products on an ongoing basis.
- Develops lactation curriculum and teaches breastfeeding classes for the patient education department.
- Consults with physicians or midwives to advise on special breastfeeding problems.
- Provides inservices for new and existing staff in the field of breastfeeding and human lactation.
- Appropriately documents interactions with patients (inpatients and/or outpatients).
- Assists in development of policies, procedures and standards consistent with current trends/literature.
- Keeps updated on current issues and best practice standards in breastfeeding and human lactation by attending workshops and reading pertinent periodicals, journals and books.
Work requires walking, standing, sitting, reaching, and bending. Must have the ability to speak clearly and be easily understood. Visual acuity and acute hearing are required. Must be able to lift 20 pounds of weight.
Education, Experience and Certifications
Certification or pending examination results by International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners required. Maintains re-certification and continuing education as required by IBLCE. At least 2 years experience in breastfeeding and human lactation preferred. Bachelor's Degree preferred. RN Licensure preferred. Current Basic Life Support for Healthcare Provider (BLS HCP) for pediatrics and adults from AHA is required.