Spanish Healthcare Interpreter II
Charlotte, NC, United States
Job ID: 6881
Job Family: Professional Services
Status: Part Time
Shift Details: Regular
Department Name: 51011028343604-Language Services
Location: Atrium Corporate Operations
The Healthcare Interpreter ensures equal access for all by serving as the linguistic and cultural intermediary of the healthcare encounter. The Interpreter accurately and skillfully interprets oral communication and basic written information, related to the healthcare encounter, between the Limited English Proficient (LEP) customer and the care team. The interpreter also serves as a cultural broker, clarifier, and advocate to ensure positive clinical outcomes.
- Proactively responds to requests for language access in a healthcare setting. This includes but is not limited to: In-person interpreting, telephone interpreting, video interpreting, basic translation.
- Leverages the use of technology, as needed, to deliver services in a variety of different modalities. Troubleshoots basic application issues with software and customer as needed.
- Maintains relationships with internal customers and makes key decisions regarding appropriate interpreter modalities. Strives to contain costs at all times and leverages vendor relationships as needed.
- Interprets information regarding the patient’s and family’s healthcare needs. Scenarios may include patient education, appointments, discharge instructions, procedures, emergency encounters, assessments, etc.
- Serves as a conduit to interpret as accurately and concisely as possible while considering cultural implications and idiomatic language differences.
- Acts as a cultural broker by educating caregivers on the understanding of patient’s culture in relationship to healthcare.
- Fully abides by the healthcare system’s professional conduct standards, executes job duties in an ethical manner, and follows national practice standards
- Translates basic written information as needed and within department guidelines.
Walk requires walking, standing, sitting, lifting, and reaching. Must lift a minimum of 10 pounds to shoulder height. Must speak English and foreign language in simple, understandable terms, and have an intact sense of sight and hearing. Must be mobile throughout entire healthcare system.
Education, Experience and Certifications
High School diploma required. 2 years of experience required. Bachelor’s degree preferred. Knowledge of medical terminology and prior experience in a healthcare setting is required. National medical interpreter certification preferred. Demonstrated knowledge of oral/written language pair competency by successful completed an Interpreter Language Assessment required. Competition of 40-hour Medical Interpretation Training Program within 6 months of hire required. Complete 4 hours of training in setting outside of primary within 6 months required. Research and perform a 15-minutes presentation within 6 months required. Complete 2 industry related electives courses annually required.