Spanish Healthcare Interpreter I Part Time Atrium Health NorthPark
Date Posted: Feb 16, 2021
Charlotte, NC, United States
Job ID: 944
Job Family: Professional Services
Status: Part Time
Shift Details: Regular
Department Name: 11031005743604-Language Services
Location: NorthPark - 251 Eastway Dr
The Healthcare Interpreter ensures equal access for all by serving as the linguistic and cultural intermediary of the healthcare encounter. The Interpreter accurately and skillfully interprets oral communication and basic written information, related to the healthcare encounter, between the Limited English Proficient (LEP) customer and the care team. The interpreter also serves as a cultural broker, clarifier, and advocate to ensure positive clinical outcomes.
- Proactively responds to requests for language access in a healthcare setting. This includes but is not limited to: In-person interpreting, telephone interpreting, video interpreting, basic translation.
- Leverages the use of technology, as needed, to deliver services in a variety of different modalities. Troubleshoots basic application issues with software and customer as needed.
- Maintains relationships with internal customers and makes key decisions regarding appropriate interpreter modalities. Strives to contain costs at all times and leverages vendor relationships as needed.
- Interprets information regarding the patient’s and family’s healthcare needs. Scenarios may include patient education, appointments, discharge instructions, procedures, emergency encounters, assessments, etc.
- Serves as a conduit to interpret as accurately and concisely as possible while considering cultural implications and idiomatic language differences.
- Acts as a cultural broker by educating caregivers on the understanding of patient’s culture in relationship to healthcare.
- Fully abides by the healthcare system’s professional conduct standards, executes job duties in an ethical manner, and follows national practice standards
- Translates basic written information as needed and within department guidelines.
- Serves as a cultural mediator and educate customers appropriately.
Walk requires walking, standing, sitting, lifting, and reaching. Must lift a minimum of 10 pounds to shoulder height. Must speak English and foreign language in simple, understandable terms, and have an intact sense of sight and hearing. Must be mobile throughout entire healthcare system. Must be able to deliver language access via in-person, telephone and video remote modalities
Education, Experience and Certifications
High school diploma required. 1-year related experience required. Bachelor’s degree preferred. Knowledge of medical terminology and prior experience in a healthcare setting is required. National medical interpreter certification preferred. Demonstrated knowledge of oral/written language pair competency by successful completed an Interpreter Language Assessment required. Competition of 40-hour Medical Interpretation Training Program within 1 year of hire required.