This job posting is no longer active.
Charlotte, NC, United States
Job ID: 1702
Job Family: Respiratory Services
Status: Full Time
Shift Details: Regular
Department Name: 47331020231752-MedCenter Air
Location: Charlotte - 5315 Morris Field Dr
This position is eligible for a sign-on bonus! Registered Respiratory Therapists are eligible for a $10,000 sign-on bonus with a 3-year commitment for full time and some part-time positions. In addition to our robust benefits packages and paid time off, you are eligible to participate in the Respiratory Clinical Ladder after 6-months employment.
• Collects data pertinent to the healthcare consumer’s health or the situation.
• Uses clinical reasoning, coupled with clinical skills to conduct accurate clinical assessments and perform patient care intervention to ensure optimum patient care, safety and recovery.
• Delegates elements of care to appropriate healthcare workers.
• Utilizes appropriate resources to plan and provide services that are safe, effective, and financially responsible.
• Participates in committees, shared governance, or other facility decision making activities.
• Practices in an environmentally safe and healthy manner.
• Maintains operational knowledge for multiple modes of transportation including ambulances, helicopters and airplanes.
• Independently initiates advanced practice procedures to provide improved patient outcomes
such as: drug assisted intubation, video laryngoscopy, needle chest decompression, chest tube insertion, central line placement (UA/UV, EJ), intraosseous placement, transvenous/transcutaneous pacing, needle cricothyroidotomy, surgical cricothyroidotomy, and initiation/titration of pharmacological agents.
• Initiates intubation procedures and sets up ventilation equipment. Operates, assesses, and manages patient airway support, ventilator settings and equipment.
• Transports and monitors patients requiring ECMO, Medical Circulatory Devices (VAD, Impella), Intra-aortic Balloon Counter Pulsation, Internal/External Pacing, Ventriculostomy, and Point of Care.
Work requires walking, standing, sitting, lifting, reaching, stooping, bending, pulling and pushing. Must weigh less than 240 pounds and maintain weight while employed with MedCenter Air to remain on flying status. Must have intact sense of sight, hearing, smell, and touch. Finger dexterity, good motor, and eye-hand coordination. Requires good personal hygiene and appropriate conduct. Must be able to speak English clearly. Conditions of transport may vary and include exposure to extreme hot, cold and wet weather. Workspace may be confined and poorly lit. Exposure to patients with infectious diseases and biohazardous materials is possible. Good physical stamina and endurance are necessary to perform duties. Teammate must maintain fitness standards in accordance with Policy 2.210 (Fit for Duty).
Education, Experience and Certifications
Graduate from an accredited school of respiratory care required. Current RT license or temporary license as a registered petitioner in the working and residential state. RRT required, BSRT preferred. BLS required. Meets qualifications of appropriate clinical advancement requirements required. Three years clinical respiratory care experience in the Emergency Department and/or Intensive Care Unit required. Ability to demonstrate proficiency in advanced procedures and skills bi-annually required. Paramedic Certification required within 2 years of hire Must acquire NC EMT-P, SC EMT-P and National Registry. Must be maintained throughout employment. * Trauma Certification, ACLS, PALS, NRP and S.T.A.B.L.E. required upon completion of orientation and maintained. Advanced certification to include Adult Critical Care Specialty (ACCS) or equivalent as approved required to maintain position according to standards of commission on accreditation of medical transport systems (CAMTS). Aviation training required or flight status and must meet requirements of “flight crew member” per FAA Part 135 regulations to include Night Vision Googles to ensure safe landings. Must have a valid driver’s license and qualify as insurable by Atrium Health insurance for driving MedCenter Air vehicles. Must have an operational smartphone for use as communication device related to MedCenter air operations.
Annual compliance in education related to specialty area and/or primary base location outside of typical practice o Simulation lab o Mechanical Ventilator Management/Lab o Certified Emergency Vehicle Operations o Air Medical Resource Management o Night Vision Goggle o Survival Practical
o Sleep Deprivation/Just Culture/Stress Management
o Transport Vehicle Safety Training – ambulance/helicopter/airplane
*Current teammates required to obtain paramedic certification by December 31, 2021.
Patient Population Served
Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development and demonstrates the skills and competency appropriate to the ages, culture, developmental stages, and special needs of the patient population served.
Protected Health Information
• Will limit access to protected health information (PHI) to the information reasonably necessary to do the job.
• Will share information only on a need to know basis for work purposes.
• Access to verbal, written and electronic PHI for this job has been determined based on job
level and job responsibility within the organization. Computerized access to PHI for this job has been determined as described above and is controlled via user ID and password.
Machines, Tools, and Equipment
The MedCenter Air Clinical Transport Respiratory Therapist must be trained and remain proficient in the following additional tools and equipment: cardiac monitor, arterial line monitor, EtCO2 monitor, CVP monitor, ICP monitor, Intra-aortic Balloon pump, VAD, Impella device, ventilator (multiple models), video laryngoscopy devices, direct laryngoscopy device, laryngeal mask, intra-osseous devices, transvenous pacers, transcutaneous pacers, surgical cricothyroidotomy equipment, laboratory sampling devices (point of care, isolette, electronic stretcher, automated loading devices, ambulance operation, helicopter refueling, helicopter related equipment and loading devices, airplane related equipment and loading devices, night vision goggles, satellite phones and survival equipment.