Financial Counselor Atrium Health Pineville
Date Posted: Jan 19, 2021
Charlotte, NC, United States
Job ID: 781361
Job Family: Patient Accounting/Registration
Status: Full Time
Shift Details: Regular
Department Name: 51011028341615-Financial Counselors - Onsite
Location: Atrium Corporate Operations
Serves as an authorized representative for uninsured patients to secure Medicaid or other source of financial assistance for their hospital bill(s). Works with or on behalf of patients through the end-to-end process of applying for North Carolina or South Carolina Medicaid programs.
- Manages a rolling inventory of uninsured patients evaluated for potential Medicaid eligibility. For patients who may qualify for Medicaid, educates patients on program eligibility, the application process and associated deadlines. Works with or on behalf of patients to file Medicaid applications before the deadline.
- Works closely with Department of Social Services (DSS) caseworkers to ensure all required information is submitted within the processing timeframe. Routinely follows up with DSS and other state agencies to confirm they have all the information/documentation necessary to make an eligibility determination.
- Maintains expert knowledge of North Carolina and South Carolina Medicaid policies and procedures. Applies this knowledge throughout the application process to ensure compliance and addresses policy related questions/concerns directly with DSS and/or other state agencies.
- Regularly follows up with patients to provide the status of Medicaid applications and secure outstanding information required by DSS or other state agency.
- Represents patients at local and state Medicaid appeals hearings.
Works a fast-paced office environment with numerous interruptions. This position requires some travel to represent patient at appeals.
Education, Experience and Certifications
Bachelor's Degree or 4 years related experience required.