LCI Medical Oncology & Hematology APP
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 00171157
Charlotte, NC, United States
Date Posted: Jan 15, 2021
If it’s possible, you will find it at Atrium Health—the leading community-focused academic healthcare system serving North Carolina and South Carolina. We invite qualified Advanced Practice Providers to discover all that we can do when we bring healing hearts, inquisitive minds and progressive visionaries together in our Medical Oncology and Hematology team at Levine Cancer Institute in Pineville, NC.
Levine Cancer Institute-Pineville is seeking a full-time Medical Oncology & Hematology Inpatient APP to join the existing team.
The APP will be the primary provider and main point of contact Monday through Friday for all Medical Oncology and Hematology questions and will provide consultations on solid tumor, benign, and malignant hematology patients.
- Solid Tumor: establishes new diagnoses (orders appropriate staging scans, coordinates with IR regarding biopsies, discusses cases with Radiologist to determine appropriate biopsy site if not clear cut), recognizes and manages chemo/immunotherapy-induced toxicity.
- Benign and Malignant Hematology: orders appropriate tests to evaluate anemia, thrombocytopenia, pancytopenia, hemolytic anemia, thrombophilia, etc. Reviews peripheral smears. If credentialed, performs bone marrow biopsies at bedside. Orders blood products. Often manages anticoagulation.
- Performs subsequent physical exams, dictates progress note, updates Attending during PM rounds on the plan/resulted lab studies and/or imaging and collaborates with Attending regarding patient needs to be seen by Attending MD that day
- APP assists in diagnosing oncologic and hematologic emergencies and helps coordinate transfer to CMC-Main if unable to provide appropriate treatment at Pineville (ex. plasma exchange for TTP).
- APP fields calls from Pineville ED and local EDs (ex. Waxhaw, Steele Creek) regarding if patient needs to be admitted/transferred to Pineville or requires higher level of care at CMC-Main (i.e. potential acute leukemia patient, sickle cell patients with acute chest requiring plasma exchange).
- Coordinate hospital follow-up appointments and new patient consultations with appropriate LCI clinic/provider.
- Sometimes patients do not have follow-up scheduled prior to discharge, so this requires the APP to circle back with specific clinic to ensure that follow-up is made. This is done by keeping a separate running list of patients within Cerner with pending appointments.
- APP schedules remainder of diagnostic and/or staging workup as an outpatient if not obtained during admission.
- APP facilitates hospital transfer to CMC-Main and back to Pineville if PET/CT is necessary during admission. This requires coordination with Charge Nurses via fax.
- Administering chemotherapy at Pineville:
- APP performs chemo/immunotherapy teaches and consents patients.
- APP coordinates with both Vascular Access Team (VAT) and Pharmacy.
- APP performs goals of care discussions and completes Care Alignment Tool (CAT).
- APP must recognize when it is appropriate to consult Palliative/Hospice or Radiation Oncology teams as this has been the preference of the Hospitalist group and agreed upon by LCI.
- If patient is hospice appropriate, APP discusses with primary oncologist/hematologist via phone, email and/or Cerner as a courtesy in order to update physician on hospital course and the recommendation for hospice.
- APP often attends multidisciplinary family meetings as the representative of the Medical Oncology team.
- APP reaches out to primary oncologist if progression is seen on imaging or primary hematologist if bone marrow reveals transformation.
- APP personally discusses recommendations and plan with Hospitalist team several times a week, if not daily, to ensure appropriate coordination of care.
- APP provides smoking cessation education.
- Graduation from an accredited NP or PA program. Current license to practice as a NP or PA in North Carolina. Current prescriptive privileges and DEA license required. BLS/ACLS Certified.
- Nurse practitioners are required to have Acute Care Certification
- Physician Assistants with certification from the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants required.
- +1 years of experience, Hematology/Oncology preferred
- Shift: 0800-1700 Monday through Friday
- Must complete yearly goals with satisfaction as determined by Levine Cancer Institute
When you join Atrium Health, you will be welcomed into an inclusive culture that celebrates and respects the contributions a diverse team can make together. Practice where your voice is valued, your passion for advancing medicine is rewarded, and you get the resources and support you need to thrive personally and professionally. In our nationally-renowned integrated health system, you can work alongside the most advanced minds in medicine to improve medicine, elevate hope and advance healing—for all.