Cytogenetic Technologist - Core Lab Cytogenetics (Variable shifts available)
Charlotte, NC, United States
Job ID: 329462
Job Family: Laboratory Services
Status: Full Time
Shift Details: Regular
Department Name: 11011008339024-Cytogenetics
Location: APC - 5040 Airport Center Pkwy
Performs sample set up, harvesting, slide preparation and staining, microscopic analysis, photography, karyotyping and performs FISH analysis.
- Assures integrity of the specimens during all phases of specimen processing.
- Performs a variety of culturing procedures including; establishing blood, bone marrow, and biopsy cultures; monitoring growth levels, making decisions regarding feeding, subculturing, harvesting, etc.
- Performs various slide preparations and staining techniques (standard Geisma,, Q-, R-, C- banding and NOR staining).
- Performs detailed microscopic analysis. Assumes responsibility for ruling out chromosomal mosaicism. Makes decisions regarding optimal cells for documentation. Capable of operating automated karyotyping equipment.
- Performs FISH processing and analysis.
- Manages record keeping, maintains stock supply levels, orients new personnel in lab, institutes new procedures, and continues education programs.
- May apply cryogenic technology in specimen storage.
- Coordinates specific functions with laboratory personnel in accordance with job description.
- Manages quality control of culture apparatus which includes; monitoring CO2 levels in incubators, monitoring CO2 supply, periodic disinfection of incubators, periodic maintenance of hoods, and monitoring of liquid N2 levels.
- Stays knowledgeable about research and development within the cytogenetics field.
- Performs validation studies for new test development as required and participates in compilation of validation data.
- Reports to supervisory personnel any problems that might adversely affect patient care.
- Utilizes effective LIS and equipment data management skills.
Long periods of sitting during analytical procedures. Long periods of standing during harvest procedures. Manual dexterity. Works in an area which contains biohazardous materials along with chemical, fire, and mechanical hazards. Each employee has the responsibility to work in a safe manner. May be required to stoop, reach, and lift up to 50 pounds.
Education, Experience and Certifications
Bachelor’s degree in any Life Science, Medical Laboratory Scientist (ASCP or equivalent), and/or Technologist in Cytogenetics (ASCP or equivalent) required. Minimum of 2 years of cytogenetics analysis required. Maintains eighteen (18) hours of continuing education annually for those registered effective January 1, 2004.