This job posting is no longer active.
Shelby, NC, United States
Job ID: 97877
Job Family: Support Services
Status: Part Time
Detailed Shift and Schedule: 12 hour shifts between 6:45am till 7:00pm and every other weekend
Job Type: Regular
Department Name: 11111004943401-Dietary Services
Responsible for patient meals and food services on assigned units, e.g., menu selections, tray assembly, tray delivery and pick-up, special requests and needs, in-between meal food delivery. Communicates patient food issues and concerns and needs to Nutrition Services and interacts with Nursing in regards to patient nutrition needs or requirements. Reacts accurately and effectively to all changes to ensure accuracy of physician's ordered modified diets and efficient timing of services. Is familiar with dietary restrictions on special and modified diets to ensure optimal patient care and satisfaction.
• Patiently, clearly and accurately explains menu selections, diet options, food restrictions and procedures to patients and/or their families, using appropriate communication skills to interpret age specific responses for infants, pediatrics, adolescents, adults and geriatric patients, as assessed through observation and solicited feedback.
• Demonstrates ability to assess age specific safety issues for infants, pediatrics, adolescents, adults and geriatric patients, as assessed through observation and solicited feedback.
• Demonstrates knowledge of modified diets, proper condiments, and related restrictions for diets based upon passing a written test provided by clinical staff and random audits and observations during meal service.
• Demonstrates ability to offer alternatives to menu as allowed on prescribed diet in accordance with cultural, ethnic and religious preferences based on random audits and observations.
• Observes patient birthdays and anniversaries by making special arrangements for celebration cakes or special meal accommodations within scope of service.
• Gathers and processes menu selections and diet orders
• Properly calculates preparation time so food items meet appropriate temperature controls and service times.
• Ensures transport retherm carts are delivered to floors on time.
Spends most of the time working on a nursing unit, institutional kitchen, meal assembly and dishwashing areas. Spends some of the time working in light and temperature controlled cafeteria or patient care areas and in climate controlled storeroom areas. Routinely handles sharp implements and glassware. Routinely works around hot equipment, steam producing equipment and wet areas. Routinely exposed to cleaning chemicals. Though traveling into and through patient care areas, has little or no exposure to pathogens borne by air, blood, body fluids or tissues. Stands and walks frequently. Routinely required to bend, stoop, kneel and reach. Routinely pushes or pulls loaded tray carts. Routinely works inside a 37 degree F walk-in cooler for tray assembly and set up. Routinely lifts or carries items weighing up to 25 pounds, and occasionally items up to and over 50 pounds, with assistance. Must have close and intermediate visual acuity. Ability to hear and verbally communicate is required.
Education, Experience and Certifications
High school diploma, GED preferred or currently enrolled and pursuing educational degree. Satisfactory completion of a community college level human nutrition or nutrition and diet therapy course preferred. Knowledge of medical terminology preferred.