Master's prepared nurse who applies clinical expertise in evidence -based nursing practice within a specialty area and function in the following roles: clinical expert, educator, system thinker, change agent, and innovator.
- Develops a systematic education plan and evaluates overall nursing staff development programs in response to patient and healthcare trends, regulatory requirements, and strategic priorities of the organization.
- Synthesizes literature and research findings to design interventions for selected problems or populations and promotes staffs knowledge and skill in research and evidence based process and the application of these findings in practice.
- Supervises staff in unit educator role and participates in their annual performance review.
- Provides educational consultation and services across the continuum in area of specialty.
- Assesses as learning styles and creates educational programs and materials based on assessment of population to be educated.
- Conducts annual education needs assessment utilizing multiple data sources. Analyzes and makes recommendations regarding priorities.
- Coaches and mentors unit educators and staff in the development of education skills (curriculum development, adult learning principles, evaluation etc.)
- Develops educational effectiveness measures for all programs and outcome measures for selected programs.
- Participates in selection of preceptors. Coaches preceptors on skill development and provide continuing education. Provides ongoing feedback and gives input into annual performance evaluation.
- Utilizes multiple education modalities and leverages use of technology in order to provide the most cost effective and efficient programs
- Provides cost analysis for all education and manages related resource utilization.
- Participates in facility wide program development
Frequent moderate lifting, pulling, pushing and carrying. Frequent walking, standing, stooping and reaching. Must be able to travel throughout hospital campuses and offsite properties. General hospital office environment with exposure to chemicals, pathogens and patient body fluids. Environment is climate controlled. Subject to long and irregular hours.
Education, Experience and Certifications
Master’s in nursing, Nursing Education or Health Care Administration required. Candidates for external hire or internal promotion without Master’s degree must be enrolled in the appropriate Master’s program upon hire/transfer date and must complete program within 3 years of enrollment in the program
• Two years of teaching experience preferred. Minimum 3 years clinical experience as a RN in practice area required.
• Appropriate practice area certification required within 1 year of eligibility for certification exam.
• Life Support Instructor Certification may be required based on the needs of the patient population served.
• Current RN license or temporary license as a Registered Nurse Petitioner in the state in which you work and reside or, if declaring a National License Compact (NLC) state as your primary state of residency, meet the licensure requirements in your home state; or for Non-National License Compact states, current RN license or temporary license as a Registered Nurse Petitioner required in the state where the RN works.
• Knowledge of adult learning principles, curriculum and program development, program evaluation, self-learning modules.
• Proficient at Microsoft Office programs and use of AV equipment.
• Must show evidence of job-specific competencies
• Additional education, training, certifications, or experience may be required within the department by the nurse manager.