Vice President - Federal Affairs and Government Policy - Advocate Health
Charlotte, NC, United States
Job ID: 90386
Status: Full Time
Detailed Shift and Schedule: 8-5
Job Type: Regular
Department Name: 51011028342318-Executive Recruitment
Reporting to the SVP, Chief Government Affairs Officer, the VP, Federal Affairs and Government Policy will lead federal affairs and the newly created government policy team for Advocate Health. The leader will work to develop and implement comprehensive advocacy strategies, initiatives and engagements with Members of Congress, relevant committees and the Administration. S/he will lead a team of registered lobbyists and policy experts in pursuit of Advocate Health’s organizational goals.
- Leading of a team of registered federal lobbyists managing key relationships across the enterprise, in addition to elected officials on Congressional committees of jurisdiction and relevant caucuses, strategically expanding Advocate’s national profile in federal government.
- Creating a new government policy center within the Government Affairs team. Utilizing internal leader expertise and cultivating additional internal subject matter expert input on policy matters that are priorities for our patients and the enterprise.
- Spearheading the annual enterprise effort to define our federal priorities and articulate our agenda, sharing among internal leaders and gathering feedback.
- Tracking, developing and executing on federal legislative, regulatory, and funding opportunities for the system and our executive thought leaders.
- Directing, drafting, collaborating on position papers, regulatory comment letters, Congressional testimony and other materials to convey Advocate Health’s policy positions internally and externally.
- Managing with the team all of Advocate Health’s trade association memberships and other industry partners, including contract lobbyists.
- Collaborating with the State Affairs and local government team on multifaceted policy opportunities.
- Creating and executing on internal education and communication strategies to stay close to the needs of our front-line operators and caregivers
- Regularly serving on internal project-based teams to provide insight and identify potential government solutions around enterprise challenges.
The VP will oversee a team of four direct reports working in our federal affairs and government policy team and will manage expenses and budget allocation related to our federal policy work in Washington, D.C. The VP will work with the SVP to direct the work of our external advisors and make decisions about contracts, participation in advocacy efforts, and association commitments. The VP will have direct access to operations leaders across the enterprise and partner with internal subject matter experts to establish Advocate Health’s national policy leadership platform.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Education: JD or other advanced degree in relevant field
- Field of Study (if applicable): Political Science, Health Policy, Public Health, Communications, Business, Finance
- Years of Experience: 15 years minimum, with at least 10 years of direct experience
- Describe Type Experience: Working in Congress, the Executive Branch or government relations for a health care company, provider organization, or trade association.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Extensive knowledge of the U.S federal legislative and regulatory and budgetary processes with a health care policy focus required, particularly specific experience in Medicare, Medicaid and commercial payer related policy. Experience could include working within the Administration, Congressional committees of health care jurisdiction and related agencies. Must demonstrate an ability to develop and execute on specific strategies related to the function of federal government.
- Self-starter with the ability to work well independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent written communication and presentation skills.
- Strategic, good judgment.
- Curious and creative thinker, dependable and highly organized.
- Strong analytic and research sills, including deep familiarity with legislative, regulatory and policy materials, as well as significant experience engaging in the legislative process.
- Ability to work creatively and flexibly in a fast-paced and evolving environment.
- Proven team leader and mentor.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
- This position is based in Washington, DC, but requires regular travel to the markets we serve, therefore, will be exposed to weather and road conditions.
- Operates all equipment necessary to perform the job.
- Work remotely if not in meetings or on the Hill. Exposed to a normal office environment in the markets we serve.