Organ Preservation Coordinator - LifeShare
Charlotte, NC, United States
Job ID: 45291
Job Family: Patient Care Support
Status: Full Time
Detailed Shift and Schedule: Rotating call schedule
Job Type: Regular
Department Name: 11011019631252-Lifeshare - Organ
The LifeShare Carolinas Organ Preservation Coordinator I (OPC) oversees and perform the recovery and preservation for the organ, eye, and tissue departments for LifeShare. The OPC I is responsible for donor evaluation, surgical recovery, storage and shipment of tissues to processors. The OPC I is responsible for the preservation and packaging of all organs.
- Performs aseptic recovery of tissue; including, but not limited to, eyes, bones, ligaments, tendons, heart for valves, saphenous vessels, and skin according to departmental policies and procedures
- Responsible for coordinating recovery, preservation and transportation of donated organs
- Performs organ preservation using appropriate machines; cannulates and places organs on preservation machines as approved by surgical director; performs in-situ flush of all organs
- Performs donor evaluations, coordinates logistics for recovery teams and communicates with Medical Examiners, Nursing Supervisors, and Funeral Directors as required
- Ensures all recovered organ and tissues are packaged per policy and meet regulatory requirements
- Performs decontamination and sterilization of all LifeShare instruments used in the recovery of organ, tissue, and eye
- Maintains Organ, Tissue, and Eye Labs, ensuring that all supplies are to par levels and stocked accordingly
Available to travel distances greater than one hundred miles and function effectively in unfamiliar hospital environments. Must be able to fly in airplanes/helicopters and ride in ambulances. Must be able to push, pull or otherwise move heavy objects, and must be able to lift and carry a minimum of 50 lbs. Must have good manual dexterity and visual acuity. Must be able to endure long periods of standing and walking. Must be able to endure irregular sleep patterns. Must have good communication skills with families, hospital personnel, physicians, and fellow employees. Must be able to use personal vehicle for work travel.
Education, Experience and Certifications
Associates Degree or Certified Transplant Preservationist (CTP) or Certified Tissue Bank Specialist (CTBS) certification required. Bachelor of Science in Health Science field preferred. Certified Surgical Technician, Emergency Medical Technician, CTP, CTBS, Certified Eye Bank Technician, RN, or LPN preferred. Knowledge of abdominal and thoracic anatomy required. Basic understanding of kidney anatomy, surgical dissection technique, suturing, vascular surgery, cellular metabolism and laboratory values within six months of employment required. Valid Driver’s License required. Operating Room experience preferred.