Concord, NC, United States
Job ID: 84438
Job Family: Education, Training & Development
Status: Part Time
Detailed Shift and Schedule: 5 hour shifts 4 days each week as college schedule requires
Job Type: Regular
Department Name: 11161010244252-Medical Library
Works with the IRC Manager and plans the Library’s collections budget, acquires materials in all formats, negotiates license agreements and contracts, describes and maintains access points to facilitate discovery of the Libraries’ resources.
- Manages the e-resources and serials collection.
- Acquires licenses, describes, and provides access to electronic resources, with a specialization in electronic journals and databases.
- Ensures access to e-resource collections currently using EOS Web OPAC system, publishers, and the AHEC Digital Library.
- Identifies emerging trends and technologies in e-resources management that have the potential for new and improved library services.
- Maintains close working relationships with vendors, publishers, and consortium partners (AHEC, NCICU).
- Works on projects with the College’s Instructional Designer.
- Manages interlibrary loan activities (ILL).
- Fills requests using DOCLINE, the National Library of Medicine electronic ILL system.
- Maintains ILL records for both borrowed and loaned material.
- Checks an email account for new articles and delivers the articles to the appropriate party and appropriate Libraries.
- Monitors frequency of ILL requests to identify journal titles for purchase, as well as ensures copyright compliance.
- Compiles quarterly statistics for ILL activities.
- Catalogs books using NLM, National Library of Medicine.
- Orders new books with approval from the IRC manager; Processes new and donated books and shelves the books and journals to the correct collection.
- Provides assistance to the Information Resource Manager in areas of cataloging and research.
- Greets and directs clients; checks library materials in and out using EOS; answers ready-reference questions; assists clients with computer and copier issues; computer software, library automation system, and Internet applications; Accessing computer-based information by providing searching and software support.
- Records reference and circulation statistics.
- Develops and analyzes statistical reports for the IRC such as circulation, interlibrary loan and daily activities.
- Participates in library planning, serves on committees, task forces, and teams for the IRC and the College.
- Participates in the orientation and training of new staff.
Occasional periods of light pulling, pushing, and lifting; frequent periods of sitting, standing, walking, bending and stretching; frequent movement throughout College; occasional driving to other locations; visual and auditory acuity within normal limits or corrected; environment is climate controlled with occasional exposure to inclement weather; lifts and moves boxes, materials, and audiovisual equipment.
Education, Experience and Certifications
Bachelor’s in Library Science, Information Science, Computer Science or other qualified program required. ALA accredited Master’s degree in Library Science or Information Science required. Minimum of one year’s related experience in specialized or academic libraries required. Expertise and experience with library systems and e-resources such as DOCLINE, EBSCO, and PubMed required. Proficiency with databases. Proficiency with Microsoft Office products. Maintains competency in professional area or discipline.