Surgical Technologist - Ambulatory III, Atrium Health Plastics, PRN
Charlotte, NC, United States
Job ID: 73105
Job Family: Patient Care Support
Status: Part Time
Detailed Shift and Schedule: PRN Mon- Fri
Job Type: Regular
Department Name: 31641040032182-Plastic Surgery
Applies advanced surgical technology skills to assist in providing patient care in the outpatient surgical suite/clinic/practice, while maintaining a safe work environment and performing all related job responsibilities. Ensures quality patient care during the operative procedure and is constantly vigilant in maintenance of the sterile field. Oversees and assists to meet the needs of the surgical patients in conjunction with the Nurse Manager, Clinical Supervisor, or Lead Nurse.
- Demonstrates expertise in surgical specialty(s) technique(s) and required resources.
- Consistently functions as a highly motivated team member and capably accepts additional responsibilities.
- Possesses a thorough knowledge of surgical instrumentation, procedures, aseptic technique, and its application.
- Prepares instrument sets and specific instruments as needed for scheduled, add on and emergency cases.
- Cleans and prepares instruments for transportation to decontamination and terminal sterilization.
- Assists in maintaining adequate instrument and supply inventory, checks par levels daily and orders appropriate amounts without over stocking.
- Communicates special equipment and instrument needs for the next day's cases.
- Coordinates, organizes, and prioritizes plans of care for assigned surgical patients while providing for patient care needs.
- Anticipates changing patient care needs and departmental situation/response.
- Assists in the orientation and education of teammates.
- Assists surgical team in preparation of the patient, assembly of supplies, instruments, and equipment and disposition of surgical specimens.
- Monitors surgical supplies and instrumentation for sterility prior to use and ensures that supplies are used in a judicious manner, charges are documented/submitted accurately and appropriately.
- Monitors and documents sterilization activities for completion.
- Exhibits knowledge of department related issues and actively advances departmental/clinic Performance Improvement Process.
- Participates in educational opportunities to increase competency and meet personal needs and goals.
- Assists in development of policies, procedures, and standards.
- Serves as a preceptor or mentor and is a clinical resource to others.
- Assumes responsibility for individual specified unit clinical projects as required. Assists in maintaining quality control standards in the department.
- Demonstrates ability to problem solve and judicious use of resources within their scope of work.
- Responds to computer messages, phone calls, or text messages requesting routine or emergency instruments or supplies.
- Attends in-services and staff meetings.
- Performs duties according to department policy and procedure.
Works with occasional intermittent noise and exposure to conditions such as dust, fumes, and chemicals. Ability to communication and write. Strenuous physical effort will require walking, stretching, bending, climbing stairs, twisting, and squatting or kneeling while performing tasks. May have lengthy periods of standing. Requires frequent use of side vision, lifting, pushing, and pulling. Must be able to lift and support the weight of 35 pounds. Use of both hands and all fingers and is required to use hands for gripping, speed work and precision during the operation equipment/instruments and movement/positioning of surgical patients. Vision and hearing for distances of up to twenty 20 feet is required, depth perception and able to distinguish basic colors is required. Ability to work for lengthy, or irregular work hours, rotating shifts, working on hard surfaces, being near moving equipment, changes in temperature, humidity, and exposure to Blood Borne Pathogens.
Education, Experience and Certifications
- Graduate of an accredited school of surgical technology required or successful completion of military training program for Surgical Technology or Operating Room Specialist.
- 5 years of operating room experience in surgical technologist role required.
- Current certification required.
- Meets all ST III qualifications of Surgical Tech Ladder.