Phlebotomist I - Carolina Medical Center - FT - Evenings
This job posting is no longer active.
Charlotte, NC, United States
Job ID: 65516
Job Family: Laboratory Services
Status: Full Time
Detailed Shift and Schedule: This position is for Monday - Friday evening shift with rotating every 3rd weekend
Job Type: Regular
Department Name: 11011005039020-Phlebotomy Services
Performs duties that supports the efficient workflow of the laboratory. Duties include obtaining patient specimens via venipuncture or micro method.
- Collects and/or processes patient blood obtained by venipuncture and/or capillary puncture in a timely and accurate fashion
- Use of vacutainer tube, butterflies, syringes, and needle for drawing blood. Use of micro lancets and capillary pipettes in obtaining blood specimens by heel stick
- Perform Positive Patient identification by verifying the patient’s name and date of birth against lab orders and accurately record it onto the specimen
- Ability to determine proper container type
- To promptly draw and deliver blood specimens to the appropriate laboratory department
- Provides phone support for patient care areas in a polite and supportive manner
- Maintains competency with hospital and laboratory information systems as needed to perform job duties
- Trains new teammates and/or students in the department including any standard work processes applicable to the work area
- Always wears appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) as appropriate while working with patient specimens
- Actively participates in staff meetings, projects and/or performance improvement activities in the department
- Adheres to regulatory requirements and to standard operating procedures
- Completes annual system, facility and department requirements as assigned
- Is accountable for work, behavioral expectations, teamwork, and reliability
- Report to supervision any problems, which might adversely affect his/her ability to perform duties
- Other duties as assigned
Works in a fast-paced clinical environment. Works in an area that contains biohazardous (infectious) materials along with chemical, fire, and mechanical hazards. Duties may involve standing, walking, stretching, stooping, bending, and lifting light (20 pound) to moderately heavy (50 pound) loads.
Education, Experience and Certifications
High school diploma or equivalent is required; Certification in phlebotomy is preferred for facilities where phlebotomy is an assigned duty.