Chief Neurodiagnostic Technologist
Charlotte, NC, United States
Job ID: 66350
Job Family: Patient Care Support
Status: Full Time
Detailed Shift and Schedule: Monday-Friday 11p-0730a
Remote Opportunity: No
Job Type: Regular
Department Name: 11011005032874-Neurological Diagnostics - Inpatient
The Chief Technologist coordinates the clinical services in Neurodiagnostics, including EEG, clinical EP’s, Intraoperative monitoring (EEG) and the epilepsy monitoring unit (EMU). This position is responsible for ensuring high technical quality of procedure, training and competency of technologist, and organizing the daily workflow of procedures as it relates to Neurodiagnostics.
- Oversees the technical operation of clinical services provided by the department.
- Coordinates the clinical activities of Neurodiagnostic Technologist in all patient care areas.
- Performs routine and complex EEGs in all patient care areas.
- Reviews and confirms the quality of work and competencies of technologist and student interns.
- Perform long-term monitoring studies (including patient preparation, equipment setup, and data recording).
- Extracts all relevant patient information from history and medical record. Adopts methods and instrumentation to obtain optimal results based on history, clinical observations, and neurodiagnostic findings.
- Performs and oversees technologist pruning and archiving to ensure adequate server storage.
- Coordinates Neurodiagnostic staffing schedules and assigns priorities according to the workload and clinical urgency.
- Ensures the electrical safety of all equipment and that electrical safety checks are valid.
- Performs preventative maintenance and minor equipment repair when necessary.
- Capable of implementing trouble shooting strategies to maintain optimal recordings.
- Works closely with information services/technology to ensure appropriate equipment maintenance and updates are completed.
- Maintains policy and procedures manual(s) for neurodiagnostics, and ensures timely revisions.
- Assist in directing related clerical activities.
- Develops and participates in on-going technical education and ensures implementation of technologist skills.
- Maintains relationships with referring physicians to resolve problems and to advise concerning laboratory procedures, techniques, and equipment.
- Participates in the recruitment, selection, and evaluation of technical staff.
- Reviews the supply inventory and makes sure material are adequately stocked.
- Orders supplies routinely when needed.
- Demonstrates knowledge of personal computer software programs and programming. Plans, develops, and implements orientation, training program, and competencies for new teammates.
- Accountable for team meetings, huddles, etc. and responsible for holding teammates accountable.
- Insures hazardous materials are properly used and stored and that proper infection control practices are implemented.
- Participates in a call schedule/weekend rotations with teammates.
The Chief Technologist will work in various patient care areas including patient rooms, critical care areas, operating room, and other clinical settings. Periods of standing and walking, moving and pushing equipment to remote patient care areas required. Exposure to biohazard materials follows safety guidelines.
Education, Experience and Certifications.
High school diploma or GED required. Completion of an approved education program in electroneurodiagnostics preferred, but not required. Registration in one Neurodiagnostic modality through ABRET is required. EEG registry must be obtained within 3 years of hire date, per Neurodiagnostic Technologist job description requirements. Additional certification/eligibility in EP/CNIM/LTM is desirable. BLS certification is required. 5 years’ experience is preferred.