Formulates and defines system scope and objectives. Prepares detailed specifications from which programs will be written. Designs, codes, tests, debugs and documents those programs. Provides guidance and training to other application specialists.
The Application Specialist will contribute to the development, build, implementation, and support of the Epic Beacon application across the Atrium enterprise. Provides an advanced level of operational and application build competence. Provide consultation and coordinate design/build/testing/go-live activities for oncology-related workflows. The Application Specialist must have an in-depth understanding of workflows, policies and procedures, patient care/clinical business objectives, regulatory requirements, and industry best practices for patient care within the oncology environment.
- Coordinates with clients and peers to enhance system functionality while understanding the possible ramifications to the client's business processes and Information Services. Ensures client requests are properly evaluated and responded to in a timely manner.
- Leads teams of one or more members in accordance with project demands. Ability to recognize individual team member competencies and assign tasks accordingly. Plans work effort of one's self and possibly other project team members.
- Manages training when necessary, inclusive of course development and delivery. Ability to break down complex problems into manageable tasks.
- Demonstrates knowledge of applications and their integration (interface) with and effect on other systems.
- Provides feedback to management to be used during the evaluation and counseling of team members.
- Leads projects in one or more aspects of the information systems lifecycle (product selection, business requirement definition, communication, implementation, issue resolution, production support). Develops workplans, estimates tasks, and properly records time tracking for one's self and possibly other team members.
- Ensures successful completion of assigned projects on schedule, within budget, and in accordance within System standards.
- Design, build, test, and support all elements of the Beacon application
- Serving as a liaison between end users, third parties, and Epic implementation staff to ensure the system meets the organization's business needs
- Performing in-depth analysis and documentation of current state/future state workflows, data collection, report details, and other technical requirements associated with Epic software
- Understanding the choices involved in application configuration
- Investigate end users' preference while making build decisions and analyzing business operations as they relate to build decisions
- Setting standards for naming and numbering conventions and security classifications using the Epic Style Guide for Master File Naming and Numbering Conventions
- Populating databases during the system build with assistance from Epic
- Prioritizing and implementing requested changes to the system
- Application testing scenario development, execution, and remediation to ensure system functionality and integration with other applications/systems as appropriate
- Ensuring that data coming across an interface into the Epic application meets the business need
- Troubleshooting problems and questions from end users
- Working with report writers to ensure that the application has the necessary reports.
Must be able to lift objects that weigh up to 35 lbs. This position is subject to high-level visibility through verbal and written communications with senior hospital management, associated project deadlines, personnel evaluation, and counseling. Must be available for on-call support on a regular basis. Due to project requirements, overtime will be required, as needed.
Education, Experience and Certifications
High School Diploma or GED required; Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Business Administration, or related field preferred. Formal training in Information systems, desktop applications, databases, software development packages and programming languages preferred. Epic Beacon Certification preferred.
Must be willing to travel, including overnight, as the project schedule dictates. Travel estimated at 0% to 25% of time for various initiatives. Could be more during specific phases including initial training/certification, application design, integration testing, and go-live support.