This position is Sign-on Bonus eligible. In addition to the sign-on bonus, new teammates at Atrium Health are eligible for robust benefits packages, paid time off, and educational assistance.
The Nurse Aide/Healthcare Technician assists in providing patient care under the direct supervision of the Registered Nurse. Assists in maintaining a clean, safe patient environment and performs job responsibilities in a safe manner. Maintains clinical and professional competencies as appropriate to the needs of the patient population served.
- Supports patients/residents with activities of daily living.
- Assists patients/residents with personal hygiene.
- Takes vital signs and height and weight measurements.
- Feeds and ambulates patients/residents according to specific procedures.
- Maintains patient/resident’s rooms in a clean and orderly condition.
- Observes and reports changes in patient/resident conditions.
- Orients patients/families to unit and instructs patient on safety measures.
- Assists with clerical work such as, including answering phones, entering data and maintaining medical records.
- Maintains stock supply items in inventory management.
- Performs duties as outlined in the scope of Nurse Aide I or Nurse Aide II tasks (per North Carolina Board of Nursing Nurse Aide I and Nurse Aide II Tasks List).
- Perform technical tasks with appropriate training such as administering a 12- Lead Electrocardiogram test and routine venipuncture.
Work requires walking, standing, sitting, lifting, reaching, bending, stretching, stooping, pushing, and pulling. Ability to lift a minimum of 50 pounds for moving and lifting patients. Ability to push/pull all patient transport equipment. Must speak and understand English in good understandable terms. Must have manual and finger dexterity. Physical abilities testing required.
Education, Experience and Certifications
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Current listing with the DFS Nurse Aide Registry as a Nurse Aide I or with the North Carolina Board of Nursing as a Nurse Aide II.
- Current American Heart Association Basic Cardiac Life Support HealthCare Provider certification.
Patient Population Served
Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development and demonstrates the skills and competency appropriate to the ages, culture, developmental stages, and special needs of the patient population served.
Protected Health Information
- Will limit access to protected health information (PHI) to the information reasonably necessary to do the job.
- Will share information only on a need-to-know basis for work purposes.
- Access to verbal, written and electronic PHI for this job has been determined based on job level and job responsibility within the organization. Computerized access to PHI for this job has been determined as described above and is controlled via user ID and password.
Machines, Tools, and Equipment
Those required by unit. Includes blood pressure manometer, stethoscope, thermometer, personal protective equipment, wheelchairs, stretchers, utility cars, and related clinical equipment.
Additional Essential Functions
- Provide guest/transport services to include; transports, transfers, discharges, admissions, escorts, materials and equipment including transport of patients with medical devices/equipment (oxygen cylinders, intravenous pumps, PCA pumps, wound vac, etc.)
- Coordinate activities to guide patients, visitors/guests, and staff to desired designations within the facilities.
- Possess the ability to adjust the liter flow and determine PSI in an oxygen cylinder as well as the ability to transfer canula tubing for wall unit to/from cylinder.
- Perform safe patient handling to include; moving patient, patient lifts, patient transfers (stand-pivot and lateral), etc.
- Maintain equipment inventory throughout facilities; stretchers, wheelchairs, beds, oxygen cylinders and carriers, IV poles, etc