Microbiology Technologist I, Core Laboratory (7p-7a)
This job posting is no longer active.
$ Sign-On Bonus Eligible
Charlotte, NC, United States
Job ID: 57775
Job Family: Laboratory Services
Status: Full Time
Detailed Shift and Schedule: M-F (2330-0800) with rotating holidays and weekends
Job Type: Regular
Department Name: 11011008339031-Laboratory Administration
This is Sign-on Bonus Eligible. $5,000 sign on bonus for full time and $2500 for part time positions. In addition to the sign-on bonus, new teammates at Atrium Health are eligible for robust benefits packages, paid time off, and opportunities for career advancement.
The Microbiology Technologist will be responsible for performing medium to high-complexity microbiology-specific testing and resulting according to established standard operating procedures.
- Performs medium to high complexity Microbiology testing procedures with a high level of quality in accordance with established protocols in bacteriology, mycobacteriology, mycology, virology and molecular-based infectious disease Microbiology.
- Assures integrity of specimens during all phases of testing.
- Performs various slide preparations and staining techniques.
- Maintains complete documentation/competency for all steps of processes as outlined in standard operating procedures and policies.
- Analyzes, interprets, and records patient test results into the electronic medical record with a high degree accuracy.
- Interprets complex susceptibility patterns to determine antibiotic resistance patterns and mechanisms as well as inconsistencies in drug-bug combinations.
- Performs Quality Control processes to establish acceptability of use for of microbiological materials following regulatory guidelines.
- Responsible for proper compliance and maintenance of respiratory PPE.
- Participates in the training of other technologists, students, resident physicians, pharmacy technicians and Infectious Disease nurses.
- Takes part in annual education pertaining to select microbiological agents and/or emerging pathogens.
- Troubleshoots assay, reagent, and instrument issues.
- Participates in verification and validation studies for process improvements, new equipment, and new technology transfer at the discretion of the operations and/or Technical Director.
- Reports any problems that might adversely affect patient care to leadership in a timely manner.
- Organizes daily functions to meet productivity guidelines.
- Takes on independent projects and tasks beyond routine bench work.
- Contributes to ongoing process improvement efforts.
- Update job knowledge, skills, and certification. Attend continuing education sessions.
Works in a busy environment around physicians, technologists, and other hospital employees. Works in an area, which contains biohazardous (infectious) materials along with chemical, fire, and mechanical hazards. Each employee has the responsibility to work in a safe manner. May be required to stoop, reach, and lift light (20 pound) to moderately heavy (50 pound) loads.
EDUCATION, TRAINING, EXPERIENCE:
MLS (ASCP) acceptable. M(ASCP) preferred. B.A./B.S. in Biology, Chemistry, or related scientific discipline acceptable. B.A./B.S. in Biology, Chemistry or related scientific discipline candidates are required to obtain an MLS(ASCP) or M(ASCP) certification within one year of on-boarding.