Senior Application Specialist, Epic Inpatient Orders, Full-Time
Charlotte, NC, United States
Job ID: 52898
Job Family: Information Services
Status: Full Time
Shift Details: Regular
Department Name: 51011028342612-IAS Cliinical Orders & Infection Prevention
Location: Atrium Corporate Operations
Formulates and defines system scope and objectives. Prepares detailed specifications from which programs will be written. Designs, codes, tests, debugs and documents those programs. Provides guidance and training to other application specialists.
- Coordinates with clients and peers to enhance system functionality while understanding the possible ramifications to the client's business processes and Information Services. Ensures client requests are properly evaluated and responded to in a timely manner.
- Leads teams of one or more members in accordance with project demands. Ability to recognize individual team member competencies and assign tasks accordingly. Plans work effort of one's self and possibly other project team members.
- Manages training when necessary, inclusive of course development and delivery. Ability to break down complex problems into manageable tasks.
- Demonstrates knowledge of applications and their integration (interface) with and effect on other systems.
- Provides feedback to management to be used during the evaluation and counseling of team members.
- Leads projects in one or more aspects of the information systems lifecycle (product selection, business requirement definition, communication, implementation, issue resolution, production support). Develops workplans, estimates tasks, and properly records time tracking for one's self and possibly other team members.
- Ensures successful completion of assigned projects on schedule, within budget, and in accordance within Atrium standards.
- Responsible for configuration and maintenance of the EpicCare Inpatient Orders application for all phases of the system development life cycle
- Serving as a liaison between end users, third parties, and Epic staff to ensure the system meets the organization's business needs
- Performing in-depth analysis and documentation of current state/future state workflows, data collection, report details, and other technical requirements
- Understanding the choices involved in application configuration
- EpicCare Orders application build and experience with build tools including security, orders, order sets, best practice advisories, order tracking, order transmittal, preference lists, workflow and CER rules, smart tools, note templates and other application functionality
- Investigate end users' preference while making build decisions and analyzing business operations as they relate to build decisions
- Setting standards for naming and numbering conventions and security classifications
- Prioritizing and implementing requested optimization and enhancement changes to the system
- Application testing scenario development, execution, and remediation to ensure system functionality and integration with other applications/systems as appropriate
- Ensuring that data coming across an interface into the Epic application meets the business need
- Troubleshooting problems and questions from end users and providing on call support
- Working with report writers to ensure that the application has the necessary reports
- A deep understanding of the inpatient clinical care setting and associated end user workflows
- Strong project management and organizational skills with ability to lead meetings, prioritize, resolve conflicts, maintain issues lists, and manage a project plan
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to develop, document and ensure adherence to technical standards
- Ability to understand customer requirements and the impact on technical/functional performance of the application
- The ability and interest to learn the software and increase knowledge over time
- Eagerness to learn the system and promote it within the organization
- Operational experience in a clinical setting (helpful, not required)
Must be able to lift objects that weigh up to 35 lbs. This position is subject to high-level visibility through verbal and written communications with senior hospital management, associated project deadlines, personnel evaluation, and counseling. Must be available for on-call support on a regular basis. Due to project requirements, overtime will be required, as needed.
Education, Experience and Certifications
High School Diploma or GED required; Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, Business Administration, or related field preferred. Formal training in Information systems, desktop applications, databases, software development packages and programming languages preferred. Certified in EpicCare Inpatient Procedure Orders or Epic Bugsy preferred. Experience in Inpatient EMR preferred. Work experience and use of EMR system and familiarity with workflows and integration points in the areas of order entry, clinical documentation, medication reconciliation and knowledge of physician documentation and workflows preferred.