Physician Office Laboratory Assistant - Atrium Health - Huntersville - Internal Medicine - FT
Huntersville, NC, United States
Job ID: 56787
Job Family: Laboratory Services
Status: Full Time
Detailed Shift and Schedule: Monday-Friday 8:30am-5:30pm
Job Type: Regular
Department Name: 30741033132751-Internal Medicine
Performs waived and moderate (CBC's) clinical laboratory procedures with minimal to moderate supervision. Collects appropriate laboratory samples by venipuncture and /or fingerstick, processes and prepares for transport to the reference laboratory. Reviews test results, and immediately notifies providers or Nurse/PCA of issues or concerns. Familiar with regulations of inspecting bodies such as CLIA and OSHA and abides by these regulations. Performs and documents quality assessment activities, performs minor troubleshooting on equipment as instructed by Technical Service Representatives, and request on-site service as needed. Identifies and documents problems and takes necessary corrective action. Trains others to the proper performance of routine procedures.
- Assesses the urgency of a test and uses this assessment to prioritize the order in which tasks are performed.
- Prepares specimens for testing, verifies patient identification on samples and test requisitions before testing, and applies rules of specimen rejection and arranges for recollection.
- Uses and maintains equipment and instruments used in test performance, documents quality controls, performs minor troubleshooting, and maintains cleanliness of work area.
- Prepares reagents as required for test performance.
- Calculates, reports, and records test results. Analyzes results for critical values and reports results immediately.
- Oversees/participates in Quality Assessment activities and documentation of problem recognition and resolution.
Works in an environment interacting with physicians and other healthcare teammates. Works in an area that contains biohazardous (infectious) materials along with chemical, fire and mechanical hazards. Requires full range if body motion including manual and finger dexterity and eye to hand coordination. Frequent walking, sitting, bending and standing for extended periods of time. Lifts and carries items up to 25 pounds. Requires visual acuity and normal color perception.
Education, Experience and Certifications
High School Diploma or GED with experience performing moderately complex laboratory testing required. Performing complete blood counts and clinical training in the areas of phlebotomy, medical office assisting, nursing and radiology preferred.