Cardiac Device Nurse-Sanger Heart & Vascular Institite Device Clinic
Job ID: 841621
Charlotte, NC, United States
Date Posted: Dec 29, 2020
The Cardiac Device Nurse provides direct care to patients with Cardiac Implantable Electronic Devices (CIEDs), in the Cardiac Device Clinic. The Cardiac Device Nurse utilizes knowledge of cardiovascular nursing, cardiac electrophysiology and biomedical engineering concepts to assess the technical function of the patient's CIED, perform testing and programming of the CIED, analyze and interpret device and patient diagnostics and perform accurate clinical documentation as determined by departmental and best practice standards.
- Demonstrates autonomous direct cardiac rhythm management patient care for patients with CIEDs by integrating a knowledge base from physiology, pathophysiology and the basics of electronics to perform competent device interrogations, diagnostic review, and overall analysis of device function with both in-person evaluations and remote monitoring.
- Performs post-operative CIED patient assessment and teaching regarding incision care as well as cardiac device function, ICD shock plans, and remote CIED monitoring.
- Utilizes critical thinking skills in addition to electrophysiology knowledge to programs device parameters autonomously in a safe manner to optimize functionality, promote appropriate pacing, rate modulation, safety, battery longevity, and optimally support overall electrophysiological needs of the patient.
- Recognizes abnormal functions of pacemakers, defibrillators, ILRs and CRT devices through in-person evaluation and remote monitoring. Employs strategies to address and correct issues.
- Professionally communicates with Cardiac Electrophysiologists and other providers regarding CIED function, diagnostic data, and overall patient status through accurate, professional and standardized documentation.
- Attends and participates in educational meetings and seminars related to device management, electrophysiology and general cardiology, at least 15 nursing and device related education hours per year.
- Supports regulatory processes including billing, compliance, CIED tracking and advisory/ recall management.
- Promotes excellence in the care of patients with CIEDs and cardiac rhythm or heart failure disorders.
Work requires walking, standing, sitting, lifting, reaching, stooping, bending, pushing, and pulling. Must be able to lift and support the weight of 35 pounds in handling patients, medical equipment, and supplies. Must speak English in good, understandable terms. Intact sense of sight, hearing, smell and touch. Finger dexterity. Critical thinking and ability to concentrate. Must be able to respond quickly to changes in patient and/or unit conditions. Physical Abilities Testing required.
Education, Experience and Certifications
Graduate from an accredited School of Nursing. BSN required. Minimum four years of cardiovascular nursing, electrophysiology nursing, critical care nursing or cardiac device nursing experience required. Minimum of Current Basic Life Support for Healthcare Provider and Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support through the AHA. Current RN license